India: Food poisoning left thirty-seven hospitalized

20 Jan 2009, 0000 hrs IST, Vijay V Singh, TNN


Source of Article:



MUMBAI: Thirty-seven people were admitted to hospital for food poisoning after eating at an Andheri (W) labour union leader's son's wedding on


Sunday. Cops seized the food remains and sent it to laboratory for tests.

Officials said several people were admitted to Cooper Hospital and a private hospital after they complained of uneasiness, loose motion and vomiting on Sunday night.

Nawaz Khan, a local labour union leader, told the police that about 2,000 people ate at his son Ahmed's wedding at Gilbert Hill on Sunday evening and only a few of them had complained of food poisoning. The catering contract was given to Pradhan Khan, a resident of the same area.

Nawaz said the party started around 8 pm and ended at 12.30 am on Monday. Two persons complained of stomach ache just before midnight and they were admitted to hospital after their condition worsened. Gulam Haider, who was in the first group that sat down to eat, initially thought his uneasiness was due to overeating but was rushed to hospital when his condition became serious. Two guests are in the ICU.

"I hired the same caterer for my other two sons' and daughter's wedding and nothing untoward happened. I don't know what happened this time. Many people were invited for this party and only a few had a problem,'' he said.

The guests, too, are sympathetic towards Nawaz. They have asked the police to investigate the caterer's role.

Officials have recorded caterer Pradhan Khan's statement. DN Nagar police station senior inspector Ajendra Thakur said: "We will decide on going ahead with the complaint after receiving the laboratory report.''


Main Page

setstats            Copyright (C) All rights reserved under

            If you have any comments, please  send your email to