Manager Product Development Food Science – Foster City, CA
JOB PURPOSE AND SUMMARY
Manage the development of new products as required to
support Sales. Schedule and monitor laboratory activities to assure
that R&D is able to meet commitments to Sales, Operations, and customers.
Develop and implement systems that improve the efficiency and productivity of
the scientists. Manage the Food Scientists and support the growth and
development of the skills necessary for constant improvement within the
Manage the funds allotted for Product Development, monitoring costs and
instituting cost-savings where possible. Track total costs associated with
individual products including materials, scientists
time, travel, etc.
Track projects and report on their status. Monitor the viability of active
projects, and alerting the VP of R&D when a project should be reevaluated
before investing additional resources. Assist the VP of R&D to evaluate
proposed projects, based on product type, customer history and production
Provide monthly reports to include:
Project Status, kill rate, trial rate, commercialization rate.
Time availability for Product Development and Research for the future month
Manage customer accounts as assigned.
Support the Manager of Culinary Development as required.
POSITION DIMENSIONS AND QUALIFICATIONS
External Contacts: Customers, Regulatory officers, Material Suppliers,
Special Equipment Used
- Analytical equipment.
- Kitchen and pilot plant equipment.
- Personal computer (specific experience with Excel, Word & Powerpoint)
- General office equipment; fax, copier, phone etc.
Training & Experience:
Education Level and Focus
- Bachelors degree in Food Science or related field.
Years and Type of Related Experience Required
- 5 years minimum industrial experience in R&D or Technical Services and
Quality Assurance. If a Masters degree then 3 years of experience is adequate
-Culinary training preferred!
Skills & Abilities:
Interpersonal and Communication
- Must be well developed in communications skills both oral and written
- Directly interfaces with customers, suppliers, and many internal company
Technical and Analytical
- Analytical, Chemical and microbiological knowledge and experience in
formulation, laboratory, sensory analysis techniques/methods.
- Culinary experience is an added benefit.
Administrative and Operations
- Computer skills using various software.
- Must be able to travel within the US & internationally to visit
customer sites and to the factory in Los Banos.
- Some lifting and prolonged standing required
- Typically a food technology lab with low noise level. May be exposed to
some food related chemicals. In plant will be exposed to food processing
environment with changes in temperatures, damp conditions.
If interested email Katrina.firstname.lastname@example.org with "Food Research
Product Manager" in subject line.