Food Safety & Quality
Assurance Specialist - Grocery Job – Minneapolis, MN
JOIN US AS A FOOD SAFETY AND
QUALITY ASSURANCE SPECIALIST
About This Opportunity
Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking
thinking and visionary goals. As a Food Safety & Quality Assurance
Specialist you'll take the lead as you…
- Responsible for executing the food safety and quality assurance programs
for Target Own Brand Foods products.
- Work primarily with Own Brand Foods and category buying teams in
identification, selection and approval of all prospective and current vendor
facilities to ensure appropriate food safety, quality assurance and
- Act as technical liaison among merchants, vendors, brokers, third party
partners such as laboratories and auditing agencies.
- Work closely with other functions such as product development and packaging
to ensure design and execution of safe, high quality products in compliance
with all appropriate regulations and Target requirements.
- The scope of responsibility covers the whole product life cycle from
initial selection of the vendor through first production and product
maintenance through subsequent productions.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct desk audit (review of food safety plan and programs) on all
prospective Owned Brand vendors and facilities manufacturing products for Target
- Conduct on-site risk assessment to ensure appropriate implementation of
food safety and quality programs and regulatory compliance.
- Work with business team to select, review and approve all prospective and
current vendor facilities.
- Evaluate and approve product specifications to ensure it includes key
requirements for analytical, microbial and physical attributes, including
food safety parameters and shelf-life..
- Conduct on-site product evaluations at vendor facilities to ensure
appropriate programs in place and implemented to manufacture safe products
that are compliant with applicable regulations and meet Target specification.
- Advise and provide product testing requirements and testing protocols for
3rd party lab testing.
- Maintain accuracy and current status of all vendor information in
appropriate Target systems.
- Monitor and manage product quality through systematic review and analysis
of different sources of product information to identify and resolve potential
product quality issues and reduce variability in products..
- B.S. in Food Science, Food Microbiology or related discipline.
- 2-8 years experience in food QA, food
manufacturing or related experience.
- Working knowledge and proficiency with:
- Food safety principles, Consumer food product formulation, processing, and
- Food safety & quality assurance principles, programs & practices,
including HACCP, SPC
- Food sanitation and GMPs; Food Code and/or
- Vendor/In-store production food safety and regulatory compliance audits and
- Ability to assess/communicate Food safety, quality assurance and/or
regulatory guidance to organization
- Experienced and knowledgeable in several product categories/platforms
(thermal processing, etc.)
- Knowledge of government regulatory requirements in the processing of
consumer food products, including FDA and USDA requirements.
- Organizational and project management skills to adapt appropriately to
competing demands, shifting priorities to achieve deadlines and meet
- Ability to work in cross functional team environment as well as with other
internal and external partners effectively. Demonstrated strong interpersonal
skills and a positive opinion leader.
- Problem solving skills to gathers and analyzes the most critical
information needed to understand problems; do trend analysis and root cause
analysis; advances problems toward resolution despite ambiguity or
uncertainty; draws upon experience when interpreting data;
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel,
- Ability to travel as required.
- M.S. in Food Science, Food Microbiology or related discipline.
- Private label manufacturing experience.
- Quality audit certification
- HACCP and/or food safety certification
- Retail grocery experience
Eligible team members will receive one of the best earnings packages
anywhere, including competitive pay, all-around insurance coverage, 401(k),
flexible scheduling, training and development and many other perks and
benefits. Target is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is a
Expect the Best. At Target, we have a vision: to become the best - the best
culture and brand, the best place for growth and the company with the best
reputation. We offer an inclusive, collaborative and energetic work
environment that rewards those who perform. We deliver engaging, innovative
and on-trend experiences for our team members and our guests. We invest in
our team members' futures by developing leaders and providing a breadth of
opportunities for professional development. It takes the best to become the
best, and we are committed to building a team that does the right thing for
our guests, shareholders, team members and communities.
Minneapolis-based Target Corporation serves guests at stores nationwide and
at Target.com. Target is committed to providing a fun and convenient shopping
experience with access to unique and highly differentiated products at
affordable prices. Since 1946, the corporation has given 5 percent of its
income through community grants and programs like Take Charge of Education®.
Nearest Major Market:
Compliance, Data, Data Analyst, Engineer, Engineering, Food Science, Food
Service, Grocery, Hospitality, Insurance, Insurance Fraud, Law, Legal,
Management, Microbiology, Operations, PLM, Procurement, Product Development,
Project Manager, QA, Quality, Quality Assurance, Research, Retail, Safety,
Science, Scientific, Service, Technology