BROAD FUNCTION AND SCOPE OF THE POSITION:
To advance Del Monte Vegetable/Tomato/Broth Research & Development
projects from concept through commercialization.
• This position is responsible to independently lead research projects
resulting in the commercialization of new food products as assigned by
the Projects Manager.
• The functions performed by this position are the execution and
accountability of projects by designing & conducting experiments,
recording of experimental data, leading cross-functional teams, and
communicating of results to the Project Manager by means of progress
reports, product examinations and laboratory reports.
• The incumbent in the Sr. Technologist II position is expected to have
strong product formulation skills, in addition to good project planning
skills which would enable him/her to independently plan, coordinate,
perform, and be accountable for all aspects of a project (including but
not limited to: project design & timing analysis; cost analysis;
sourcing raw materials; prototype development; rapid protocepting;
data analysis & interpretation; managing chemistry & lab
analysis; assessing process integration & co-packing feasibility;
ensuring products are developed within Nutrition, Regulatory, and QA
guidelines; and managing product stability & shelf life testing).
• The position may also be required to supervise the department's support
staff (i.e.: technicians), coordinate new product / production start-up,
and lead the operational troubleshooting efforts at manufacturing
installations. This includes technical service projects such as formula
qualifications, product-package interactions, process scale-ups, and cost
• The problems most often encountered in this position are solving
complex technical problems related to the development, manufacturing, and
/ or modification of the food products and processes.
• The greatest challenge is to achieve the desired research results
within the product image, cost, and time guidelines set forth for the
multiple projects he/she will be working on. The incumbent may at times
be required to travel to various Company installations, co-packers, or
• The Sr. Technologist II performance is measured on his / her ability to
efficiently organize and plan for complex projects, scientifically
conduct research projects using experimental design, and his / her
ability to work with other technologists within the food group, other
laboratory groups and personnel at the other Del Monte Foods facilities.
The incumbent in this position is expected to show progression in the
ability to execute complex projects requiring extensive technical
expertise and detailed project planning skills prior to promotion.
Other aspects of this position required of an incumbent:
• Must be able to travel by plane
• Must be capable of travel for extended periods of time
• The ability to lead a group
• Must be able to work in a factory environment dealing with equipment
and raw ingredients
• Must be able to conduct plant tests and commissionings
• Physical labor (able to lift 50 lbs. and maneuver around equipment)
• Ability to comprehend written instructions
• Possess mathematical dexterity
• Possess computer skills - Excel, Word, Genesis, and be able to learn
• The incumbent may be asked to prepare and conduct special cuttings of
samples and collect product data.
• To support Exploration Phase of Product Development cycle, technical
evaluation of adjacent category products is expected.
• Proactively generate and develop innovative product and process ideas.
• Work closely with Purchasing to establish and reinforce new &
existing relationships with suppliers & vendors; establish the
framework for evaluating contingency suppliers and raw materials.
• Provide special technical input and assistance in regulatory &
labeling, nutritional, and packaging.
• Pull together project plans and presentations for upper management
alignment and review.
The incumbent's most significant contacts within the Company are daily
contacts with other groups within the technical center and periodic
contact with Leadership Teams, Marketing, Market Research, and
Operations. Contacts with outside supplier representatives will also
Minimum B.S. Food Science, Chemistry, Food Engineering, Chemical
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
7 years minimum R&D experience
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision,
401(k) and Pension Plan
Del Monte Foods is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ALL RESUMES NEED TO BE SUBMITTED THROUGH WWW.DELMONTE.COM TO BE
No sponsorship is available for this position. No agency solicitations.
No third party recruiters