Malaysia: 52 pupils ill after meal
Source of Article: http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Thursday/National/2477621/Article/index_html
By : Heidi Foo
SEREMBAN: Fifty-two pupils of a
school near here were rushed to the Tuanku Ja'afar Hospital after they developed symptoms of food
pupils of Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Tamil Ladang, in Senawang, were rushed to the emergency ward after they
suffered diarrhoea and bouts of vomiting.
The incident occurred after the Year One to Six pupils were believed to have
eaten mee hoon and nasi lemak at the school
canteen about 10.45am.
State Plantation Affairs, Human Resources, Environment and Public Complaints
Committee chairman V.S. Mogan said the pupils were
reported to be in stable condition after receiving treatment.
"They were allowed to go home after doctors gave them a clean bill of
health. This is a serious matter and follow-up measures will be taken to
avoid a repeat of the incident."
parent, S. Vallaran,
who is also a Parent-Teacher Association committee member, said he was
informed of the incident by the principal.
"This is the first food poisoning incident in the school. Parents and
teachers helped to send the children to the hospital."
State Education Department director Datuk Abdullah Mohamad said initial investigations revealed that the nasi lemak and mee hoon eaten by the pupils
might have been the cause of the food poisoning.
"However, we found out that the food was bought from outside and not
prepared by the canteen operator.
"We have also taken food samples and will conduct tests soon."
He said the department had sent a team of officers to check on the level of
cleanliness in the school's canteen and whether it had adhered to hygiene
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your
email to firstname.lastname@example.org