India: 488 fall prey to food poisoning

Source of Article:


17 Feb 2009, 2026 hrs IST, TNN





RAJKOT/JUNAGADH: In four different incidents of food poisoning, close to 488 people were admitted to hospitals of Rajkot, Junagadh and Jamnagar in


the past 72 hours.

On Monday, 230 guests at a wedding in Koyli village of Vanthli taluka were affected after eating dahi wada. About 50 were treated at Junagadh civil hospital and 150 at Koyli itself. By evening, 30 people on the groom's side too showed symptoms and were treated at Manavadar. The curd in the dish was the cause, a hospital source said.

On the same night, five members of a family Yusuf Memon, 26, his wife Shahida, 24, mother Jainu, 50, daughter Muskan, 3, and son Mustufa, 5, living in Jangleshwar area of Rajkot were rushed to the civil hospital after vomiting. They had eaten chapati and vegetables.

Similarly, three sisters Sejal Koli, 3, Poonam, 5, and Vaishali, 7, staying at Mahakali Chowk in Rajkot, were treated at a private children's hospital there. The girls had eaten curd and khichdi for dinner, which caused the poisoning.

At another wedding in Jamnagar, on Sunday afternoon, as many as 250 people took ill after eating sweets in Jhakhar village, 20 kms from Khambhaliya. Around 70 patients were admitted to Khambhaliya hospital and the rest were taken to Jamnagar. "Groom Arwindsinh and bride Pritiba too were affected," the official said adding, "It is suspected that sweets served during the meal was the main cause of food poisoning."

Source: Sandesh



Main Page

setstats            Copyright (C) All rights reserved under

            If you have any comments, please  send your email to