Philippines: Pangasinan town bans eating shellfish after reports of food poisoning

Source of Article:

By Eva Visperas Updated February 17, 2009 11:55 AM

SUAL, Pangasinan—The mayor here has issued an advisory to his constituents banning the gathering, selling and eating of any kind of shellfish along the coastal waters in Baybay Sur, Baybay Norte and nearby barangays after six persons were hospitalized for alleged paralytic shellfish poisoning.

Nellie Pastor, a municipal administrator told The STAR today that Mayor John Rodney Arcinue issued the order after a family with six members was hospitalized at the Alaminos Doctors Hospital after eating a shellfish locally known as badong-badong.

The oldest among the victims was a 60-year old retired head teacher while the youngest was her three-year-old grandson.

The victims complained of dizziness, vomiting, and numbness after eating badong-badong gathered from the coastal water in Barangay Baybay Norte. They were discharged from the hospital the following day.

The mayor's order remains in effect pending result of the test conducted by the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) based on samples collected in the affected area. The samples were submitted to the BFAR central office in Metro Manila.

Pastor described badong-badong as somewhat similar to tahong (mussel) but it is bigger.



Main Page

setstats            Copyright (C) All rights reserved under

            If you have any comments, please  send your email to