R&D Food Technician – Northbrook, IL
Job Number: nest-00018912
Relocation: Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
This position is responsible for organizing and performing pilot plant trials
and associated support work with minimal supervision. Must be self motivated yet be able to interact with project teams
and participate in project discussions with team members as required.
Candidate must be willing to explore application of new process technology.
1. Plan, organize, and prepare formulations and perform pilot plant trials in
a safe and efficient manner. Set up, operate, trouble shoot, and clean and/or
repair processing equipment.
2. Adhere to all facility policies concerning safety, security, Good
Laboratory Practices and Good Manufacturing Practices. (GLP and GMP).
Coordinate area to do trial and setup food-processing equipment needed for
3. Maintain equipment and area in good sanitary and working condition.
Requires participation in sanitation of equipment and facilities.
4. Responsible for ordering, receiving and storing ingredients for trial.
5. Responsible for executing trial and recording data during trial as
outlined in trial request.
6. Responsible for monitoring Critical Control Points (CCP's) and operational
pre-requisite programs as directed by the Pilot Plant Manager.
7. Must maintain accurate and appropriate records. Prepare summaries of trial
results in presentation format with recommendations for processing/product
improvements based on observations and present to management as required.
Computer skills are necessary to document information from trials in MS Word,
MS Excel, MS Powerpoint and REMIS.
8. Working knowledge of equipment and operations in pilot plant.
9. Position may physically demanding and requires
frequent standing, walking, and lifting up to 50 pounds. Position may require
work in extreme temperatures and may require working varied work schedules.
10. Support Nestle Qualit Management Systems (NQMS)
1. Travel as required to facilitate training, industrial trials and startups
and transfer of technology to factories.
2. Participate (give/receive) cross training to promote broad knowledge base
in equipment, products, and processes. Coordinate and be responsible for all
aspects of pilot plant staffing as assigned.
3. Interact and participate in discussions with engineers,equipment suppliers and ingredient suppliers while
providing technical assistance in a professional manner.
4. Perform other activities as directed by supervisor.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, and
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Preferred qualifications may include: Associate level college degree, 2
years of college course work in science/math/related field, Associates Degree
from an accredited vocational / technical school, and/or 5 years of
experience in food manufacturing or product development.
- Working knowledge of food processing principles and Pilot Plant equipment
- Good interpersonal, communication, organization, math, computer, and writing
- Good mechanical aptitude required. Must be able to contribute practical
experience in development of new equipment.