Feb. 23 (Xinhua) -- A 60-year old man is seriously ill and at least 40
people in northeast China's
Heilongjiang Province fell sick after eating
snack food from a shopping center on Monday, say health authorities.
They all suffered nausea and vomiting
after eating food from a snack vendor at around noon in the underground
dining area of Hongbo Shopping Center in downtown
Harbin's Hongqi Street, said Liu Minglie, deputy head of Harbin Municipal Health Bureau.
They ate malatang,
a variety of traditional Chinese hotpot, named after the copious amounts of
spicy pepper and sesame oil added to the broth.
Most of the patients were in stable
condition as of 6:40 p.m., but the 60-year-old man was in a serious
condition, Liu said.
The number of victims could rise, he
The stall was closed and health authorities
are investigating the incident.