Health inspectors have been sent to KwaNongoma
to test food that put over 500 children in hospital with food poisoning,
health department said on Friday.
boarders at Mlokothwa High
School became ill after eating mince meat for
supper on Thursday.
They were taken to the Benedictine Hospital
over Thursday and Friday to be treated for vomiting and diarrhoea.
The hospital, which has 430 beds according to its website,
deployed extra nursing staff to cope and managed to send the children home
Health department spokesman Leon Mbanga
said the meat was believed to be rotten.
But, the health inspectors would conduct tests to confirm
this, or to ascertain whether poison had been added to the food.