Products Sensory Science Manager - Waterbury,
Coffee Roasters - Waterbury, VT 05671
GMCR is motivated to
achieve success because the more profitable we are, the more good we can do
in the world.
We create the ultimate coffee experience in every life we touch from tree
We aspire to behave in a way that everyone we interact with is better off
for having known us.
SUMMARY: The New Products
Sensory Science Manager is responsible for designing and establishing a
Sensory Science Program to support the New Product Development process at
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters. This individual, along with one direct
report initially, will develop a disciplined sensory testing and reporting
system, training current Product Development team members (and possibly
others within the organization) while also freeing up Product Development
scientists to focus on formulation activities. This individual will have a
close working relationship with the Consumer Insights Manager, supporting
external consumer tests and developing new product recommendations for
Marketing and Research & Development.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This person will have one direct report to
start with - a Sensory Science Technician.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Working closely with Product Development, Packaging and Process
Marketing and Consumer Insights, this individual will develop and execute
test plans to generate learning needed for product design. Demonstrated
expertise in the following skills is required:
* Create appropriate sensory evaluation methodologies - analytical tests,
sensory panels, consumer studies.
* Statistically analyze and interpret panel data, prepare and present clear
and actionable reports, recommend future activities in the context of
business objectives and goals.
* Train employee and expert sensory panelists with or without the aid of
third party sensory training consultants.
* This individual will apply knowledge of food systems, the human senses
models to describe and quantify the sensory differences between food
products and ingredients and to optimize products for maximum consumer
OTHER NECESSARY FUNCTIONS:
* Demonstrates accuracy and precision in conducting and reporting
* Demonstrates ability to manage time for completion of tasks to allow for
timely delivery of project objectives.
* Effectively utilizes networking relationships with others in the company
for suggestions to get work accomplished.
* Working knowledge of SAS or other statistical program.
* Experience with Compusense or similar sensory
data collection / analysis system.
* Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
* Works independently as well as within the structure of a team.
* Identifies and partners with sensory and consumer research vendors to
leverage outside resources.
* Follows all policies, procedures, ergonomic standards and safety
requirements directed by GMCR and the department.
* Performs other duties as requested by management.
* Bachelor's degree in Food or Sensory Science with 8+ years of
* Master's degree in Food or Sensory Science with 5+ years of professional
* Ability to uphold Safety standards, participate
in Continuous Process Improvement on the job, and follow our Manufacturing
* Ability to get along with others, be punctual, and follow instructions.
* Ability to follow GMCR policies and procedures as well as our Operating
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
* General Laboratory work up to 50% of the time.
* Predominately sedentary light office position with high frequency of
keyboarding/computer work required up to 80% of the time.
We offer a comprehensive
and competitive total compensation package, and a collaborative work
environment. Green Mountain Coffee is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All
offers of employment with GMCR are contingent upon the successful
completion of a pre-employment physical as provided by a GMCR selected
physician. This examination must be completed prior to the first day of
employment. We reserve the right to determine the suitability of an
applicant for a position based on an evaluation of all available
information, including but not limited to past work performance,
applications, resumes, and references.
GMCR is an E-Verify employer.