Seventy People Poisoned by Clenbuterol in China

Source of Article:http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/12548/

Epoch Times Staff Feb 23, 2009

 

Another food poisoning case in China was exposed last week, according to the Guangzhou City Food Safety Office. Since February 17, about 70 people were poisoned by clenbuterol after eating pigís offal.

Clenbuterol is a drug used for breathing disorders such as a decongestant or in ashma treatment in humans and horses. Clenbuterol is banned for use in animal feed. However, it has been widely fed to pigs to keep their meat lean. The chemical will most likely accumulate in the animalís organs such as the liver.

According to Hong Kongís Mingpao News, patients said that the pig offal they ate were brought into the local markets at several locations. Test results from the Health Bureau in Tianhe District, Guangzhou, showed that the clenbuterol contained in the pork exceeded the standard. At present, most patients are better and have been discharged from the hospital.

The regimeís mouthpiece said, the problematic pork was from several counties in central Chinaís Hunan Province. Currently, the pork wholesaler in Guangzhou has tightened its inspections.

Clenbuterol poisoning incidents have often been heard of in China. In September 2006, over 300 people in Shanghai were poisoned.

 

 

Main Page

setstats††††††††††† Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com

††††††††††† If you have any comments, please  send your email to info@foodhaccp.com