Site Product Scientist - Malt-O-Meal Company
We Are Growing!
If you are looking for rewarding and challenging work with a progressive company, Malt-O-Meal has the right ingredients. As a leading manufacturer of breakfast cereals, we have built a strong reputation for hiring some of the industry’s most talented people. We are looking for a
Site Product Scientist
Founded in 1919, Malt-O-Meal Company is privately held and headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Malt-O-Meal, the nation’s fourth largest cereal manufacturer, supplies a full line of branded cereals to all retail channels. The company currently produces ready-to-eat cereals, hot wheat cereals, and a full line of oatmeal products. The company operates production facilities in Minnesota, Utah, North Carolina and Iowa. Various distribution centers supply the customer base throughout the United States.
The purpose of this job is to lead technical resolution of ingredient, product and process performance issues within the Northfield facility. The incumbent works with Site Management and Quality Operations to manage the resolution of agreed high priority technical issues within the site. Also, contribute to the development and implementation of corporate plans and the leadership necessary for attainment of Company goals.
· Technical “Docket” – manages the portfolio of site product and process technical issues. Assembles all relevant talent (network inside the enterprise and outside if necessary) to clear the technical docket. Items on the Technical Docket get identified by site management and also ex. Northfield and may be enterprise-wide initiatives or problems.
· Ingredient Qualification - leads qualification of new ingredients or new suppliers of existing ingredients (or even a new crop year) e.g. ensures ingredient testing is completed relative to specification and other predictive performance standards, prepares a Plant Trial Protocol, coordinates trial with Ops, QA and R&D, ensures all critical test data are gathered, prepares plant trial report and makes recommendation to site management.
· Formulation Compliance - ensures formulation compliance in manufacture, has responsibility for ensuring Ops complies strictly with formulas as designed by R&D. Tracks and reports this compliance.
· New Product Introductions - leads the new product implementation process, works with R&D to design the trial protocol, coordinates trial with site Ops/QA, ensures all test data are gathered and assembles trial report. Designs and supervises the new product validation process (success hurdles, process capability) and timeline.
· Product Performance - tracks process capability and performance metrics for critical attributes (drivers of liking) for all products on all lines. Identifies product drift early and intervenes. Manages the Gold Standard program locally i.e. institutes objective metrics for the Gold Standard by product.
· Technical Training - with enterprise-wide resources (and external) prepares and implements technical training curriculum for manufacture of cereal. This would cover basic food chemistry (physical and chemical reactions of starch), manufacturing operations (how does a dryer work, measuring degree of cook, various interdependencies e.g. if moisture goes up, fines goes down etc) and sensory training. This "cereal school" would be primarily targeted at Team Members and other personnel directly involved in manufacture.
· Change Control - is the site lead for managing the technical change control process.
· Least Cost/Maximum Profit Operation - works with Process Engineers and Ops to maximize yield and throughput but preserve product Gold Standard.
· Direct or participate in the performance and analysis of special projects
· Education: BS in Food Science (preferably Cereal Science). Other technical degrees with appropriate experience will be considered. Advanced degree is desirable.
· Experience: 5 - 10 years experience in breakfast cereal Manufacture, R&D or Quality.
· Management Skills: Self-starter, Leadership; delegation; communication, written and oral; negotiation; conflict resolution and supervision. Capable of managing a large and varied scope of responsibilities and marshalling several disciplines toward a common solution.
Salary based on qualifications. Malt-O-Meal offers a competitive total compensation package and a great work environment.
Please apply directly on our Careers Site at:
Equal Opportunity Employer
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com