Sr. Food Scientist - Lathrop, CA
California Natural Products
Lathrop, CA 95330 ( Map
$55,000 - $75,000 /Year
4 Year Degree
At least 3 year(s)
The R&D Sr. Food Scientist will
manage strategic and special New Product Development projects as assigned by the
Director of R&D. This position requires a person that possesses
strong practical and technical skills in the field of new food product and
process development. Develops new and improved methods and systems for
formulating, processing, production, quality control, and packaging.
Must have the ability to integrate their technical strengths with creativity
in new product development and process design. Requires the ability to direct
and handle multiple tasks at one time. It is essential, that the Sr.
Food Scientist have the ability to communicate the department mission and
objectives in a clear and persuasive manner. This position reports to the
Director of R&D. Minimal travel required.
Essential Duties &
- Conducts basic research, new product research
related to the development of food.
- The role encompasses bench top development of
liquid foods, pilot plant scale-up through to full
- Effectively record and communicate research
results to the R&D and management team.
- Support customer's line trials at the pilot
plant level, processing facilities and co packer sites.
- Assist with new innovations, new application
opportunities, line trials, and troubleshooting.
- Develop new and improved methods and systems
for food processing, production, quality control, packaging, and
- Study methods to improve the quality of foods
such as flavor, color, texture, nutritional value, convenience, or
physical, chemical, and microbiological composition of foods.
- Support the development of food standards,
safety and sanitary regulations.
- Test new products in test kitchen and develop
specific processing methods in laboratory pilot plant.
- Confer with process engineers, flavor experts,
packaging and marketing specialists to resolve problems.
- Scientifically creative / Realistically
- Ability to define problems, collect data,
establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Excellent project management skills.
- Practical and goal oriented - ability to
transform scientific theories into practical, commercial products.
- Superior communication skills – written,
verbal and formal presentation.
- Proficient computer skills – MS suites.
- Proficient in the operation of a wide variety of
- Attention to detail is essential.
- Ability to thrive in a multi-tasking
- Ability to continually prioritize and problem
solve within a fast-paced environment
- This position requires a B.S. or M.S. in Food
Science, Biology, Chemistry or related discipline.
- 3+ years food product development experience
- Product scale up experience is highly
- Additional Quality Control or Operations
experience is helpful
- Knowledge of ESHA Genesis R&D nutritional
software a plus.