The Food Safety Specialist reports to the Manager, Food Safety East US
/ L. America and has responsibility of assuring the safety of quality
raw product by inspecting, maintaining and supporting grower programs,
focusing on food safety.
• Leading and maintaining research and food safety programs, including
fiscal management, as well as support and facilitation of multidisciplinary
research, budget planning, development and allocation of resources,
research on Distribution Center and facility management.
• Accountability to support departments and Growers, and general
advocacy for product research.
• Coordinates agricultural research with Colleges and Universities, and
assures effective linkage with other research communities.
• Monitors and evaluates grower progress; works with growers in regards
to crop, soil, pests, growing and harvesting conditions.
• Responsible to assist in the development of the annual year planning
process and Product/Crop Assessment process; consolidate SRF Plans;
identify critical issues/opportunities; develop strategic
recommendations to management on how to optimize near-term growth.
• Provide support to the strategic issues management process; identify
and assess strategic issues; lead and/or participate and/or facilitate
strategic discussion and where necessary, manage strategic initiatives.
• Assess new business opportunities; assess potential impact and
formulate strategic recommendations in response to changes in the
Agricultural environment; participate in various projects as directed.
• Assist the Operations Department with overall management of our
Distribution Centers. Conduct Quality Control inspections on a routine
basis, ensuring product safety and quality.
• Prepare and Assist with internal, external and third party audits to
maintain highest standard of Food Safety, Food Quality, and Food
• Provide strategies on new projects.
• Aid in solving or preventing problems with soil and crops.
• Estimate production in the field to increase sales/revenue.
• Assists with primary field research, including customer,
distribution, competitor, and market surveys.
• Compliance with all Company policies is required, including adherence
to Company Manual, Standards and compliance with Company Affirmative
Action Plan and Company Safety procedures.
• Follow all food Safety Requirements and Good Manufacturing Practices
as applicable to this position.
• Other duties as assigned.
OF THE POSITION:
EDUCATION: Acquired through four years of college resulting in an
Agriculture related field, Masters preferred.
Minimum 3 years experience in a related field.
SKILLS: Work requires a comprehensive, practical knowledge of a
technical field with decision making abilities appropriate to the work
environment of the organization.
OTHER: Intermediate/Advanced skill level in MS Excel Relational
database design experience (MS Access or comparable Proficient PC
Skills in MS Word, Outlook, MS PowerPoint, etc.