March 5 (Xinhua) -- A suspected food poisoning case in southwest China's Yunnan Province
which left one dead and three in critical condition in late February was
caused by a disease caused by parasites, local authorities said Thursday.
An examination of water, blood,
urine and faeces samples from the nine victims
proved that they contracted trichinosis, a disease caused by parasites
after eating raw or undercooked pork, said Yang Jun, vice director of the
provincial disease prevention and control center.
The incubation period of the
trichinosis disease depends on the number of parasites in the meat and the
amount eaten. It can range from five to 45 days but it is usually 10 to 14
A suspected food poisoning case
occurred at a construction site near Biyuhe Village
County on Feb. 18.
Nine workers developed symptoms of numbness of limbs, dizziness, fever,
diarrhea and vomiting on Feb. 21, and one worker died on Feb. 26.
"At the construction site,
we saw workers cooking with one single chopping block, and they cut both
raw vegetables and meat on it. The problem might lie in the undercooked
food," Yang said.
The patients are taking antiscolic pills and are recovering, he said.