Quality Manager for Meat & Seafood – Safeway – Denver, CO
Safeway is an innovative Fortune 100 Company that, thanks
to the diversity, professionalism, spirit and friendliness of our people, is
thriving in locations across the U.S.
From our stores to our corporate
headquarters, we offer careers that build your skills and your
Become Part of Our Corporate Team.
This is an exciting time to become part of Safeway.
The Corporate Quality
Assurance & Consumer Protection Department has an opening
for a Quality
Manager for Meat & Seafood, located in Denver, CO.
- 4 year college degree required in Meat
Science, Animal Science, Food Technology, Food Science or Waterfoods Technology. Meat Science or related
education and experience preferred.
- 6 to 10 years experience: 6 years minimum
Quality experience in Meat or Seafood Operations or with Federal/State Regulatory
Compliance. Meat or Seafood Retail operations experience
- Must demonstrate strong competency in Meat
(beef, pork, poultry, lamb, veal), Seafood,
Deli and Packaged Meat Products.
- Complete understanding of and the ability to
implement HACCP, Seafood HACCP, SSOP's, and GMP's. Seafood HACCP Certification preferred.
- Current knowledge of regulatory issues related
to meat and seafood including Country of Origin Labeling, Nutritional
Labeling, Trans Fats,
- Proven knowledge in the development of product
specifications, SOP's, and auditing
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
including analytical and technical writing skills and the
ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization,
with vendors, with government entities and to audiences of various
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access.
- Knowledge of perishable warehouse operations.
- Good management skills and ability to relate
to diverse workforce. Proven skills in supervising employees
- Positive attitude and ability to handle and address changing
- Must have the ability to work without direct
supervision and be self-motivated. Excellent prioritization and time management skills.
- Able to travel and work irregular hours, which
may include some weekends, as required.
- Ability to withstand temperatures of 40
degrees or lower (frozen and refrigerated warehouses).
- Manage the Quality Specialist team that is
responsible for inspecting incoming meat and seafood items, ensuring
that they are performing as required by SOPs and company policies.
Provide relief coverage for warehouse QC staff as needed.
- Manage the policies and procedures for the
Quality Specialists including development, implementation, improvement
and enforcement of standards related to sampling, auditing and handling
- Develop, design, implement and maintain
individual product specifications for beef, pork, poultry, veal, lamb, seafood and service deli items.
- Develop, monitor and maintain company Seafood
HACCP Program to ensure documentation related to Seafood HACCP is
current and within Federal Regulations.
- Work directly with suppliers/brokers/buyers to
handle any product discrepancies within all Distribution Centers in
regards to product quality, safety and wholesomeness. Submit claims and
corresponding documentation to vendors. Work with vendors to develop and
complete action plans as required.
- Provide performance information and other data
or reports as required by upper management and other functional groups.
- Monitor and assist in Product
Withdrawals/Recalls involving products purchased through Meat &
- Coordinate Audits or evaluation systems to
assure that Quality standards are being upheld in-house and at vendor
- Travel approximately 25%
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What you can expect
Professional and career
Medical, Vision and Dental Plans.
Paid vacations and holidays.
retirement benefits and Employee Stock Purchase Plan.
Health and welfare benefits.
Leisure time activity
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting www.safeway.com/careers.
Please refer to Requisition MKTN4126. Click on Create Profile.
We recognize, celebrate, and benefit from the
uniqueness of each employee and customer. We value, respect, and support
these differences, in our workplace. We strive to reflect this diversity
in the communities we serve. To learn more about Diversity and Safeway,
Please no agencies and/or recruiters.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER