Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct formulation development program to demonstrate the functionality,
optimize the sensory properties, and determine the value of Solazyme's
ingredients in food and beverage products.
- Develop new food and beverage product concepts around Solazyme's
- Design and conduct appropriate qualitative and quantitative evaluations
of new ingredient candidates. Coordinate the activity of critical internal
and external resources.
- Provide technical support for commercialization by preparing promotional
materials as well as developing and presenting product concepts to
potential partners and customers.
- Establish specifications for new products in conjunction with the process
development, manufacturing, and commercial teams.
- Work collaboratively with prospective partners and customers (telephone
support, bench work, on-site support, etc.) to develop opportunities for
- Source equipment and ingredients needed for the food applications
laboratory; manage annual supply budget.
- Perform other related activities necessary to achieve sales through
effective applications development work.
- BS in Food Science, Nutrition, Chemistry or similar science; and
- MS in Food Science, Chemistry, Polymer Science, or equivalent.
- 10 years of hands on experience in applications development or technical
service at ingredient suppliers to the food and beverage industry; food
product development experience at a major food manufacturer is a plus.
- Relevant peer relationships in ingredient companies as well as food
- Strong familiarity with a broad range of food ingredients; solid
understanding of the fundamental science of food chemistry.
- Demonstrated experience in project management, contract research
management, and sensory testing.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to conduct effective presentations before customers, partners,
and all levels of employees.
- Well-developed quantitative skills (spreadsheets, basic statistical
- Demonstrated independence and creativity in problem solving.
- Demonstrated expertise in new food and beverage product formulation.
- Ability to travel up to 20.