The Quality Services Technician - Quality Systems is
responsible for developing and implementing innovative solutions to site
based quality systems to ensure operational conformance to consumer and
customer expectations. As a site based R&D resource, this position
requires working closely with supply, maintenance, engineering, logistics,
central and global quality, food safety & distribution systems
specialists and regulatory affairs to identify opportunities to improve
product quality, systems and safety.
The Quality Service Technician is responsible for acquiring and
understanding the advancement of global dry petfood processes and auditing
techniques to drive appropriate innovations for the site.
The primary duties and responsibilities of this position include:
As a Quality Services associate who represents the R&D and the
business, the jobholder must possess a high degree of initiative,
responsibility, work ethic, and flexibility. The associate must be willing
to involve himself / herself in any aspect that relates to our company`s
products or activities, even if such aspect is not directly related to
other parts of this job description.
The Quality Services Technician is expected to:
- Facilitate and document site based hold management systems (FGS/Marc or
Spede/PRMS), requirements and procedures including product disposition and
destruction in accordance with Mars Quality and Food Safety Standards
- Facilitate/lead plant microbiology testing program including data
analysis, trending, reporting and recommendations.
- Facilitate and document Risk Assessment process for all new commodities
in accordance with Mars regulatory requirements
- Food Safety Representative for Site HACCP Team.
- Facilitate site based audit program for quality systems compliance, pest
control, product traceability and food safety in accordance with Mars Inc.
Quality and Foods Safety Standards and FDA regulations
- Facilitate site based quality systems to assess compliance to published
product and process specifications
- Maintain site Statistical Process Control systems including deviation
reporting and recommendations
- Design, develop and implement site based programs to trend, report and
address consumer feedback information
- Maintain current recipe database system and verify new recipe accuracy
prior to implementation. Approves and communicates appropriate CRC`s
(controlled recipe Changes)
- Design, develop and provide quality systems training and education
programs for site based Associates as needed
Key Skills Required:
Bachelor`s degree in a Science / Technical discipline is preferred
(Science, Engineering, Food Science, etc). An advanced degree is a plus.
OTHER JOB RELATED REQUIREMENTS
- 1 to 3 years experience in Quality, Food Science, Laboratory Services, or
Engineering area preferred.
- Working knowledge of Food Safety, Regulatory, and Good Manufacturing
- Working knowledge of extruded processes and packaging of pet food
- Ability and aptitude to work in an R&D, Manufacturing, and/or
- Strong understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP`s), Good
Laboratory Practices (GLP`s), Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point
Systems (HACCP), ISO, Regulatory Guidelines, Sensory, and/or Microbiology
- Knowledge of the Windows working environment including Word, Excel, and
- Strong background in math and computers; working knowledge of descriptive
- Basic understanding of site accounting and financial systems
- Proven application of engineering principles, laboratory methodologies,
food science, statistics, and quality tools.
- Strong oral, listening, and written communication skills in order to
communicate with all levels of the organization
- Strong project management and planning skills with proven ability to
manage numerous projects simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal communication and leadership skills, and the ability
to effectively negotiate, influence, and persuade.
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence, motivate,
and lead a team.
- Effective verbal, written communication, strong technical writing and
- Strong decision making skills and prioritization skills.
- Ability to work independently without supervision as well as within a
- Attention to detail required when working with scientific data and
- Full hearing, speaking, and vision required.
- Able to travel up to 20%.
- Ability to work different schedules as needed for testing and projects.
- Ability to work in a dry pet food factory environment with noise, raw
meats, automated machinery etc.
- Physical requirements: Sufficient mobility, strength, flexibility,
hearing, and sight to access all job relevant areas of warehouse in a high
forklift traffic environment and perform routine activities as necessary to
deliver required results. Some pushing/pulling, bending/stooping, and
lifting (up to 50 lbs.) necessary.
HAZARDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Regular working conditions are not hazardous in this position; however,
hazards may be encountered while working on special projects on the
production floor. Qualifications as well as an assessment process that
includes a skills demonstration and an interview will determine the
The selected candidate will be subject to a drug and background check.
Company-paid relocation is not available for this position.
As a privately-held, family-owned company, Mars Petcare US offers benefits
which reflect our commitment to attracting and retaining great people. This
includes excellent pay, competitive health and dental care coverage, a
retirement plan, a very competitive vacation plan and unrivalled career
advancement opportunities, to name just a few of our unique and generous
If you`re looking for a place where you can take ownership for your work,
where the pace is fast, the environment is built around the importance of
open communication, and where employees are called "associates"
and treated as such, then we want to hear from you.
We value a diverse work environment and encourage qualified individuals to
apply, regardless of race, religion, disability, national origin, veteran
status, gender and age. Mars Petcare US is an Affirmative Action and Equal
Visit www.mars.com to learn more about our company and for information
about all of our current openings. Please, no agencies.