Research Scientist -
Meat Science Applied Technology Manger St. Louis, MO
Company Name: Solae Import
- St. Louis Missouri, 63101
Employees in positions allocated to this series use their knowledge of meat
science, food science, chemistry, nutrition and other sciences to propose,
prepare, conduct, direct and analyze trials with key accounts, including
applications development functions. Employees must communicate project /
trial results effectively with all levels and functional areas, both with
internal and external customers. The objective is the further growth of the
business and knowledge in the meat sciences and application technologies
leading to the development of key meat accounts, new and better products,
processes and/or ideas by utilizing best practices in terms of the
technological approach and positioning with the customer. Knowledge in the
basic science and/or development of new and better products, processes
and/or ideas at the customer is expected to be aligned with knowledge of
Solaes Go to Market approach / systems. Differences in levels relate
principally to greater depth and breadth of knowledge and experience
applied to examining more complex experiments, customer interactions and in
the degree of independent judgment/action allowed in designing specific
Employee will use his/her knowledge of Meat Science to propose, prepare,
conduct, direct, and analyze experiments for customer specific projects.
They will be responsible for customer technical interactions leading to
project initiation, execution, and conversion / maintenance. He/she will
also serve as an internal expert to lead applications development and assessments
of novel soy protein innovations. Employee must communicate technical
information effectively with all levels and functional areas both
internally and externally.
Typical duties of a Research Scientist Meat Science Applied Technology
1. Develop work-plans to manage work for a part of a major project or total
project of moderate scope.
2. Design and execute application projects related to the use of soy
proteins in meat and meat-free products based on customer needs.
3. Provide technical support for customer initiated projects, technical
training for internal/external customers, establish targets, understand the
marketplace and evaluate new ingredient prototypes for the meat and
4. Assist in the conducting of on/off site customer visits aiding in both
practical aspects (laboratory trials) and presentations to key customers
5. Provide technical guidance on unusual or complex problems
6. Coordinate interdepartmental and customer interactions involving
7. Train, direct, supervise and/or motivate various levels of staff
8. Review technical and patent issues; may liaison with legal department
and have patent responsibility
Research Scientist job duties and accountabilities also include the
Research Investigator and Sr. Research Investigator job duties and
1. Design and develop plans, proposals, and/or systems to initiate new
products and/or improve manufacturability of existing products
2. May deliver technical papers and presentations to external
3. Provide information, consulting support and advisement to external
4. Receive instructions on specific assignment objectives.
5. Apply Scientific Method to provide solutions.
Participate in the development of work-plans for conducting an experiment
or series of experiments.
Analyze all technical aspects of projects and recommend methods and
techniques to be used and principles to be applied.
Troubleshoot issues as they arise.
Perform analyses and interpret test results, form conclusions on
Write comprehensive experimental reports.
6. Prepare and present technical papers and presentations for internal
7. Provide guidance to staff to improve research skills and to increase
their understanding of techniques and procedures utilized.
8. Remain current with relevant scientific literature and the meat industry
9. Adhere to all safety and quality requirements; enhance site safety
Bachelors Degree in Meat Science or related field (Animal Science, Food
Science) with ten (10) years of scientific experience, two (2) years of
which may be gained at the next lower level of this series
Masters Degree in Meat Science or related field (Animal Science, Food
Science) with nine (9) years of scientific experience
Masters Degree with Thesis in Meat Science or related field (Animal
Science, Food Science) with seven (7) years of scientific experience
Ph.D. in Meat Science or related field (Animal Science, Food Science) with
six (6) years of scientific experience
Additional Competencies and Experience Desired:
1) Knowledge of
Theories, principles, methods and procedures of Meat Science and
Application Technology (Expert level)
Mathematics and statistics (Proficient Level)
MS Office package (Extensive level)
How marketplace trends and environment affects and drives the business.
2) Ability to
Coordinate the activities of others involved in project/research
Lead cross-functional teams
Execute Six Sigma methodology (Black Belt level preferred, but not
Design and manage projects
Apply knowledge in a practical industry environment
Supervise, train and/or coordinate the activities of subordinates
involved in project/research activities
3) Skills in
Plant trial design and execution, organizational skills, developing
internal / external customer relationships
Communicating effectively verbally and in writing to multi-functional,
multi-level (emphasis on documentation of customer interactions,
multi-level effectiveness, technical information, technical experimental
results / conclusions / path forward)
Organization and management of multiple projects
Designing and managing major projects
Translating results into business or technical opportunities.
Click Here To Apply