Singapore: Rojak scare is worst mass food poisoning outbreak since 2007

Source of Article:  http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/420588/1/.html


By Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 06 April 2009 2242 hrs

 

 

 

 

SINGAPORE: The latest Geylang Serai food poisoning incident is believed to be the worst mass food poisoning outbreak in Singapore since 2007. That year, over 150 people contracted salmonellosis after eating Prima Deli cakes.

Authorities have stepped up investigations, including hygiene checks at the Geylang Serai temporary market on Monday.

The 'Rojak Geylang Serai' stall has been shut since the weekend after more than 110 of its customers fell ill with food poisoning.

On Friday afternoon, Madam Rosiah Samat's husband bought her Rojak from her favourite stall.

She had just found out she was two-months pregnant with her first child by her second husband. She noticed the Rojak smelled unusual, but carried on eating it. Hours later, she was in hospital and was told she had miscarried.

She said: "I am angry. If possible, I don't want to eat Rojak. I was thinking, ‘Why did I have craving for Rojak? Why not other food? Why Rojak?’

"I wanted the pregnancy. That's why I have been going back and forth to the doctor. I know I already have four children. But this is the first one with my (second) husband. But my craving for the Rojak resulted in the miscarriage."

Madam Rosiah said she intends to try again for another baby, but at 39 she is worried that she may be getting too old.

Many of the stall's regulars told Channel NewsAsia they have been eating its Indian Rojak for years and this is the first time such an incident has occurred. But many said it will be some time before they will consider going back again.

One man said: "I will think twice about coming back to this stall again. Anyway we still can get Rojak from other parts of Singapore."

"Last week I ate the Rojak and there was nothing wrong with it. Nothing wrong... come back and eat! Don't worry," said one woman.

Authorities said they have conducted checks on other stalls at the food centre, and found standards to be "satisfactory". But the Rojak stall will remain closed for now till investigations are complete. - CNA/vm

 

 

 

 

Main Page

setstats            Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com

            If you have any comments, please send your email to info@foodhaccp.com