India: Food poisoning: 12-year-old dies, 19 taken ill

Source of Article:


6 Apr 2009, 0524 hrs IST, TNN

JAISALMER: In yet another incident of food poisoning in the state, a 12-year-old child died while 19 others were taken ill after they had chapattis

in a village under Nachana police station area in Jaisalmer district on Saturday night. The victims have been admitted to a hospital in Nachana and the doctors have been called in from district headquarters to assist in the treatment.

According to police, the incident took place in Dhakalwala Minor village where some farmers had lunch along with their family members on Saturday. "They felt uneasy after lunch, but they ignored it. After having dinner, their condition deteriorated after which the police and administration was informed on Sunday morning," said a police official.

The victims were rushed to the primary health centre in Nachana. "A 12-year-old boy, Vinod died soon after he was rushed to the hospital. Condition of some other patients is also stated to be serious," said the official.

The others who have fallen ill have been identified as Ameera, Shaqeena, Abdul Satar, Satar Khan, Mohammad Khan, Sarabeen Khan, Ameera Khan, Satbai, Manju, Sukhan, Pathan Khan, Kamal Khan, Mamta and Syopat Ram.

"From the initial probe, it seems that the villagers fell ill after food poisoning. Samples of the food, the victims ate have been collected and sent for medical examination," said the official.

The district collector Ravikumar Surpur said that the sub-divisional officer has been sent with a team of doctors from Jaisalmer to provide proper treatment to the patients. He said that most of them are out of danger.

The chief medical and health officer (CMHO) Dr V P Singh said that the samples are being examined and a team of doctors have been sent to the spot.




Main Page

setstats            Copyright (C) All rights reserved under

            If you have any comments, please send your email to