Jordan: Deir Alla students taken to hospital in food poisoning incident

Source of Article:


By Khetam Malkawi

AMMAN - Fifteen students were hospitalised in Deir Alla on Monday, reportedly falling ill after eating hommus sandwiches from a restaurant near Amer Ben Jarrah Secondary School, an official from the Ministry of Education said.

According to Ministry Spokesperson Walid Jallad, the case is not related to the School Nutrition Programme and the girls are in good condition now.

“It does not look a serious case; the students received the required medication and left the hospital afterwards,” Jallad added.

According to the Jordan Food and Drug Administration (JFDA), restaurant inspection in the governorates is the responsibility of the Ministry of Health.

“We only inspect restaurants in Amman, because we do not have offices and personnel in the governorates,” JFDA Director General Mohammad Rawashdeh told The Jordan Times, adding that the administration will soon open another office in Zarqa, because 52 per cent of the Kingdom’s factories are located there.

“However, we are waiting to receive food samples from the restaurant in question in order to perform the required tests” for the Health Ministry, Rawashdeh noted.

Meanwhile, another 11 students from the same area were hospitalised after drinking water from the same bottle.

According to a statement received by the ministry, one of the students brought the bottle from home and it turned out that the bottle contained traces of pesticides.

The statement added that the students left hospital immediately after receiving medication and are all in good condition.


14 April 2009



Main Page

setstats            Copyright (C) All rights reserved under

            If you have any comments, please send your email to