City: Preston / State: Washington
Responsible for supporting the Research and Development Department by
conducting research for contents and processing, performing bench top
applications, coordinating document control of formula, ingredients,
certificates and specifications, conducting analyses of competitors’
products. As well as, conducting all regulatory research and insuring
compliance for all new product introductions and/or product changes.
Safety and Regulatory
1. Research and determine new ingredients local/National/International
regulations (allergens, label regulations etc.) as well as, quantities per
serving recommendations, opportunities for ideations.
2. Complete Nutritional Fact Summary label information for Packaging Design
(to include in PCN –Product Change Notice or NPA – New Product Approval.)
3. Develop, write, circulate and file all PCNs (Product Change Notices).
4. Ensure packaging meets all regulatory standards.
5. Secure all Kosher, Organic, GMO free and other documents are needed.
Research & Development
6. Conduct research on new ingredients for all existing products and assist
R&D Manager with new products, taking all parameters into consideration –
functionality, cost, feasibility, application, value, certification, company
7. Plan, organize and prepare weekly Product Development Meeting.
8. In conjunction with R&D Manager, all Product Development meetings and
ensure results are tracked.
9. Create and maintain detailed journals and documentation of ongoing and
future projects. Provide monthly reviews on status of projects and expenses.
10. Work closely with flavor houses in the development of new flavors and
products and continually review existing flavors and products in search of
improvement. As well as, obtain new.
11. Supply flavor houses with materials (bottles, caps, etc.)
12. Conduct shelf studies for all new products or adjusted/changed new
beverages and existing beverages.
13. Conduct flavor R&D tasting, market surveys and outsource when needed.
14. Evaluate and score products according to specified taste methods and
determine its acceptability in the market place.
15. Develop training strategies used for the qualifying and continual
development of the Sensory team.
16. In conjunction with R&D Manager, design, plan, conduct and analyze
sensory and consumer tests to guide product development in delivering
superior product characteristics and formulations, and ensure that business
objectives are met.
17. Develops and implements new and improved guidelines, processes,
protocols, methods and or systems that ensure the on-going improvement of
sensory and consumer research. On-going maintenance of existing processes and
18. Keep up-to-date manuals for all PCNs (Product Change Notices.)
19. Ensure most current formulas known by the all flavor houses and
20. Ensure formulas and packaging database is up-to-date.
1. Establish or assist in establishing raw material standards in conjunction
with Purchaser by studying manufacturing and engineering requirements;
conferring and negotiating with suppliers; devising test methods and
procedures to assure quality.
2. Established new testing methods if necessary for product quality.
Up-date, develop and/or create manuals and/or standards in areas where
needed. Continually review and evaluate standard documentation and improve
and/or create were necessary.
4. Work on projects and special assignments as assigned or initiated.
5. Review products monthly to ensure original design standards are met.
6. Ensure smooth transition of product from R&D process to
7. Support product launch by attending production runs for new products or
product changes from batching to filling.
8. Supply standards for first production runs, approve batches and finish
product and coordinate vendor support for launch. As well as, provide
modifications to formulas and batching sheets as necessary.
Co-Packing and Process Improvement
9. Assist co-pack operations’ departments in the development and improvement
of manufacturing processes for newly introduced products or product changes.
10. Assist the co-pack program by traveling to different locations when
needed for R&D purposes as well as, production purposes.
Leadership & Development
11. Create a collaborative work environment that encourages participation and
12. Represent Talking Rain with a high level of integrity and
Reports To: R&D Manager
Supervises: No direct reports
1. Excellent communication skills
2. Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints and
ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
3. Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks; good time-management,
organizational, problem-prevention and problem-solving skills.
4. Ability to prepare concise action plans and presentations.
5. Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with
individuals and groups at all organization levels; ability to work
independently and as part of a team.
6. Strong analytical ability with active listening skills.
7. Ability to work accurately with close attention to detail.
8. Willingness and flexibility to adapt to changing business needs and
9. Exhibit a professional, business like appearance and demeanor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, biochemistry degree or Food Science degree
2. At least one year of experience in an R&D function for a food
3. Proficiency in at least 2 languages (English and French); Spanish as a
third language is an advantage.
4. Travel required.