MALAYSIA: Forty-two pupils from SRK Wangsa Maju Section 1 were rushed
to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital after suffering from food poisoning yesterday.
Six were hospitalised
while the others were discharged at 5pm.
The pupils, aged
between seven and 12, had earlier eaten chicken rice at the school canteen.
parents only knew about the incident in the evening when their children
returned home late.
"My daughter was
supposed to be home by bus at 2pm, but she did not show up. My
mother-in-law, who was waiting for her, got worried and informed me,"
said Rostarizam Mohd Jamal, 39.
Food and beverage
manager Rostarizam said he telephoned the school immediately and was told
by a teacher that his daughter had suffered from food poisoning and was
sent to hospital by an ambulance.
Rostarizam said he
rushed to the hospital and found his daughter in stable condition.
were seven others whose condition was quite serious and were warded. Later
the doctors discharged one of them," he added.
A manager, Vijay, 34,
said his father was supposed to fetch his niece from school.
"But at 1pm, my
niece did not show up. My father became worried. He searched the school for
her and was later told by school staff members that she had been sent to
the hospital," said Vijay.
He added that the
school was irresponsible and should at least have informed the parents.
niece's condition is not serious and she is recovering. But she told me
that earlier three of them fainted in class," he said.
Teachers who were
present at the hospital refused to comment.
Ministry's School Management Division will investigate the food poisoning
director-general Datuk Alimuddin Mohd Dom said the ministry would work
together with the Health Department in the investigation. --The Star / Asia