Philippines: Cake downs 15 partygoers in
FLORO TAGUINOD, GMANews.TV
| 12:47 PM
BAYOMBONG, Philippines – Fifteen people including a one
year-old boy were taken to a hospital over the weekend in two separate
incidents reportedly after eating spoiled food, reports said on Tuesday.
Doctor Fe Agnes, chief of Dupax District Hospital in Dupax, Nueva Vizcaya
said the victims who complained of diarrhea and nausea started arriving at
the hospital at around 9 a.m. Sunday morning.
A few days earlier, three cases of food poisoning were also registered at
another hospital. The cause was traced to possible salmonella contamination
on eggs used in the icing of a cake bought from the same local bakery.
After investigating the possible source of poisoning, an epidemiologist from
the Provincial Health Office said a cake which was consumed by the victims
was possibly tainted with salmonella and staphylococcus toxins.
The other victims who are now confined at the hospital were identified as
Jessa Hilaya, 10; Jerico Hilaya, 5; Justin Dacca, 6; Jay Dacca, 7; Gay
Laccay, 9; Christine Mac Laccay, 12; Abigail Lumot, 10; Ronmark Lumot, 4:
Michael Lumot, 1, Romy Lumot,10; Edna Valdez, 39; and one unidentified
Valdez, said she was the one who bought the cake for the christening party
hosted by her friend, the Barit couple, on Saturday afternoon. She was also
brought to the hospital Sunday morning when she started vomiting and
experiencing stomach pains.
Salmonella bacteria is usually contracted by ingesting raw or undercooked
eggs while staphylococcal toxins are a common cause of food poisoning, as it
can grow in improperly-stored food.
Police said charges could be filed against the owner of Haniban Bakery in
Dupax town, where the suspected tainted cakes were purchased, for possible
violation of provisions from Republic Act No. 7394 otherwise known as the
Consumer Act of the Philippines. - GMANews.TV