LANZHOU, April 29 (Xinhua) -- Local
health authorities said 22 people have been discharged from hospital by
Wednesday after they recovered from suspected food poisoning in northwest
China's Gansu Province.
A total of 94 people in four villages
have developed symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea as of 11 a.m.
Wednesday, according to the health bureau of Yuzhong County, the worst-hit
in the incident.
An initial investigation showed that
most of the patients, aged between 3 and 71, became ill after eating a
local wheat snack sold by a street vendor.
So far, 28 villagers are in hospital
and 44 under medical observation, said doctors with the Yuzhong County
Hospital, which was designated to treat most of the sick.
Lu Binzhong, who was receiving an
intravenous drip in the hospital, said he began to suffer from diarrhea
Monday after eating "niangpi" sold by a motorcycle vendor on the
Other patients said they all ate niangpi
from the same peddler, who carried about 100 kg of the food in two boxes on
the motorcycle, and then felt sick.
The county's food safety supervision
bureau began to conduct tests on samples of niangpi early Wednesday morning
and the result is expected to be announced Friday.
The police were looking for the
Niangpi is popular in the northwest,
including Gansu and Qinghai provinces.