Teaching Associate - Food
Science and Human Nutrition
of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Posted date: Apr-27-2012
Teaching Associate - Food Science and Human Nutrition (F1200041)
Category: Faculty and Other Academic
Opened Date: April 27, 2012 Close Date: May 11, 2012
College Name or Administrative Unit: ACES
Position Description: Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Position: Teaching Associate (9-month, 100 % full time)
Job description: Provide direction for the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) at the
University of Illinois. This program is recognized as one of the top dietetic
programs in the nation. The DPD Program provides a diverse curriculum to meet
the standards of education as set by the Accreditation Council for Education
in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). Challenging coursework, state-of-the-art
teaching laboratories and blended educational technologies provide our
diverse student body with the best-in-class education. The Program has a high
placement rate for acceptance into Dietetic Internship programs and first
time passage rate in the Registered Dietitian (RD) exam. The DPD Program was
recently re-accredited by ACEND in 2010.
Main responsibilities of the position: • Establish and manage an effective DPD program
• Actively engage in Departmental recruitment events for dietetics students
• Teach and provide advisement to dietetics undergraduate majors
• Perform departmental duties such as Program and curriculum development,
evaluation and revision, and selecting appropriate instructional materials,
and working with administrators and other faculty toward Program goals
• Document outcomes and maintain Program accreditation
• Maintain professional competency and skills required for professional
practice and teaching
• Teach and advise graduate students in dietetics and in collaboration with
the Director of the Graduate Dietetic Internship, teaching and advising
graduate dietetics students as needed. Act as liaison between the Department
and the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics
• Represent the Program and the Department to the general public through
participation in professional organizations
• Perform professional outreach activities such as working with
administrators and other faculty as part of course development or as needed
• Serve on committees and participate in official activities at the program,
department, college, and university levels, and other assigned duties.
Minimum Qualifications: • Master's degree in Nutrition, Dietetics, or closely related field.
• At least 2-3 years of university-level teaching experience in dietetics and
• Certification/License: Registered dietitian with active registration by the
Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and
Dietetics; Certification/Licensure as required by state of practice.
• Knowledge of Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics
standards of education and broad knowledge of clinical and administrative
• Good organizational, time management, customer service and problem-solving
• Ability to work accurately and meet deadlines with frequent interruptions.
• Interpersonal skills and willingness to work as a team member.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Proficiency in use of word processing, spreadsheet and other educational
Preferred Qualifications: • Two to three years of experience as a professional dietitian.
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching.
• Ability to integrate food and nutrition services with other services in the
• Ability to promote effective professional relationships in the practice of
Experience with distance education, (e.g. synchronous, asynchronous, or
• Participation in research/scholarly activities is a plus.
Location: Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition is located in
the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences at the
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. The Department offers an
undergraduate degree with five options (Food Science, Food Industry and
Business, Dietetics, Human Nutrition, and Hospitality Management) and M.S.
and Ph.D. degrees. The Department has 27 full-time tenure-track faculty
members, an undergraduate enrollment of 410, and an on-campus graduate
enrollment of 70 students.
Salary or salary range for position: Commensurate with education
Proposed starting date: As soon as possible
Application Procedures: To ensure full consideration, applications
must be received by May 11, 2012. Electronic submission of applications is
required (Word, RTF or PDF format). Please create an account and build your
candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu/default.cfm?page=job&jobID=19146.
Using the website, upload the following: 1) letter of interest; 2) curriculum
vitae; and 3) the names, addresses, telephone, email, and fax numbers of at
least three professional references. Full consideration will only be given to
complete applications received by May 11, 2012.
Unit Contact Information: For further information regarding application
procedures, you may contact Linda Smith at lasmithillinois.edu.
THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY /AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
The administration, faculty and staff embrace diversity and are committed to
attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and