Meijer is a leading Supercenter located in five states throughout the
Midwest, with over 200 stores and more than 60,000 employees. Our Midwest
geography includes corporate offices in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and stores,
distribution centers, and manufacturing facilities throughout Michigan,
Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, and Wisconsin. As a multi-billion dollar
retailer, Meijer is ranked as the 15th largest privately held company in
the country. We have become a respected leader in the competitive retail
market by sticking to our core values of customers, competition, family,
freshness, and safety & health.
Currently, Meijer is looking
for a Food Scientist. Food Scientist responsible for ensuring the quality
of Meijerís Own Brand products meets the targeted food profile and is
aligned with the business need and the customerís expectation and projected
- Acts as a technical resource for ingredient
functionality, product quality and food safety issues for Meijer Own
- Facilitates product evaluations between Quality
Assurance, Regulatory Compliance, Product Development and Food
- Evaluates new/existing Meijer Own Brand items in
a systematic manner (subjective and objective characteristics) and
defines quality benchmarks.
- Conducts consumer sensory testing; identifies
testing objectives, selects appropriate statistical design and testing
approach, analyzes data, and communicates results and recommendations
to the business teams.
- Maintains information on current food health
issues (microbiologic, allergic, etc.) and works with the Food Safety
team on developing information that may need to be communicated to
Meijer team members and customers.
- Assists with customer concerns, reviewing trends
and complaints that may require in-market action.
- Monitors press releases and news items impacting
products sold at Meijer.
- Assists recall team with product withdrawals and
- Actively promotes the benefits and safety of the
products sold at Meijer.
- In coordination with Regulatory Specialists,
maintains good working relationships with government regulatory
agencies (USDA, FDA, as well as, state and local agencies).
- Maintains strong working relationships with
internal and external customers including suppliers and other third
- 4-year Food Science
Degree; Master Degree preferred
- 3-5 years Quality Assurance experience
- Strong working knowledge of food science and the
associated quality principles.
- Knowledge of food safety and food regulations.
- Knowledge of sensory testing.
- Positive, high energy individual, who thrives in
a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proactive thinker and problem solver.
- Proven ability to research and apply
- Strong project management, organizational and
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and
works well under pressure.
- Positive, high energy individual, who thrives on
building new processes and influencing others.
- Computer proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel,
- Must be able to work autonomously on key