Founded in 1919, Malt-O-Meal Company is privately held and
headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Malt-O-Meal, the nationís fourth largest
cereal manufacturer, supplies a full line of branded cereals to all retail
channels. The company currently produces ready-to-eat cereals, hot wheat
cereals, and a full line of oatmeal products. The company operates
production facilities in Minnesota, Utah, North Carolina and Iowa. Various
distribution centers supply the customer base throughout the United
QUALITY FOOD SAFETY SUPERVISOR AM
Function: Provide technical quality support to QA, Operations, Product
Development with emphasis on continuous improvement, consumer/customer
requirements, and continuous product quality. Act as official back-up for
Plant Quality Manager and Plant Quality Assurance Engineer. Support,
implement, and maintain food safety practices as required through SQF. Will
be responsible for completing job duties in a manner that supports all
plant safety, food safety, quality, and environmental practices.
Reports to: Quality Assurance Manager
Major Job Activities/Duties:
1. Perform internal audit activities of the manufacturing process which
monitors quality and food safety systems.
2. Conduct consumer and customer complaint investigations and report
findings to consumer affairs group.
3. Work on continuous improvement activities assigned by QA Manager or MOM
Excellence. Participate in Kaizan, Green Belt, and Black Belt as a member
or a resource.
4. Develop and conduct Quality and food safety training for all production
5. Develop and implement Gold Standard, Quality/Food Safety initiatives at
all Northfield facilities.
6. Direct product quality and food safety surveillance of manufacturing
areas and review HACCP documentation for compliance.
7. Coordinate pest prevention activities with operations and assess all
8. Support product test lot activities to assure products meet Malt-O-Meal
9. Provide reports on quality data for plant quality, operations, corporate
quality and other Malt-O-Meal support groups.
10. Provide leadership to Quality staff. Schedule and assign work
activities for QA Technicians.
11. Write and/or assist in the development of Standard Operating
Procedures, and Work Instructions for Malt-O-Meal quality and food safety
12. Back up Northfield facilities Plant Quality Assurance Manager and Plant
Quality Assurance Engineer in their absence.
13. Investigate, document, provide corrective action opportunities for out
of specification micro data.
14. Other duties as assigned by Plant QA Manager.
Education: 4 year BS degree in Food Science, Biological and Chemical
Science or Engineering required.
Experience: 3-5 years food product experience required preferably as a
Quality Engineer, Food Technologist or Quality Supervisor. Knowledge of
manufacturing processes, GMPs, food safety, GLPs, statistics and lab
Skills: This individual must possess excellent organizational and problem
solving skills, the ability to work with a PC and have demonstrated
math/statistical computation skills. Knowledge of SPC; the ability to work
safely with chemicals, as well as, in and around equipment; the ability to
compile, analyze and present collected data in summary form as well as
being capable of performing a variety of tests. Must be able to communicate
technical, scientific, and regulatory information, both written and
verbally. Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills,
including the ability to make presentations, facilitate meetings, probe for
root cause, and provide training to various groups with in the organization
and have knowledge of quality problem solving tools. Must be able to read,
write and communicate in the English language.