Product Development Scientist-BUR00353 - Chicago, IL
The Product & Process Development Scientist position is responsible for leading product development, raw material and quality efforts for new product launches as well as Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) savings and efficiency initiatives across Ice Cream and Substantial Snacks. This role collaborates with internal teams (Marketing, Sales, Operations, and Quality Assurance) and external research groups to create products from concept to store shelf that are profitable and that delight our consumers.
· Design and develop new prototypes that translate consumer insight and wants into product attributes across Ice Cream and Substantial Snacks portfolio.
· Ensure that scientific knowledge in combination with consumer insight is incorporated into new product designs
· Development of products through hands on bench top prototyping, pilot plant scale up and full production scale trials.
· Works to develop or ensure basic scientific understanding of raw materials and their interactions.
· Represents R&D on the cross-functional Leadership Team
· Provides direction to ensure product quality throughout the pipeline process.
· Keeps current with literature and new developments in the field of food science and technology
· Provides proper documentation (notebooks, written reports) and ensures proper knowledge management for all projects
· Leverages common platforms, where appropriate, across different snack categories.
· Creates and maintains specifications for raw materials, and finished products.
· Conducts shelf life evaluation and recommendations to ensure product meets the quality parameters.
· Maintains ongoing communication with MCNA counterparts to ensure sharing of best practices and coordination of key activities.
· Understands and ensures all labelling criteria meets the legal requirements for nutritional and ingredient declaration for finished products.
· Ensures proper safety practices are followed in all testing and production situations.
· Planning Horizon 1 – 3 years
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
· Strong Working knowledge of food science, health and nutrition, food manufacturing processes, quality assurance principles, ingredient supply market and market research practices
· Knowledge of MARS business practices and procedures.
· Creative technical development and/or problem solving skills
· Utilizes consumer centered design tools to manage new product development activities
· Ability to learn new skills and ways of working.
· Understanding of basic intellectual properties and patent processes.
· Team player
· Time management and interpersonal skills
· Proficient in current computer programs and database
· Intellectually curious to find and develop opportunities
Decision Making Authority and Impact
Decisions and their Impact to the Business
· Ingredient selection/specifications,
· Designing and executing the experimental protocol to identify key learning and enhance the understanding of a product or process.
· Define and recommend product quality parameters and specifications.
· Resolution of quality issues in concert with Quality Group
· New product and packaging forms
· Alternative product design and/or nutritional guidelines
· Product, raw material and/or process change/improvements and sourcing
· Intellectual property applications
· Scheduling and conducting of pilot plant testing, line trials and consumer testing to fit overall project timeline
· Experimental design and execution
· Additional resource requirements
People Management Responsibility
Indirect (non-management associates)
· 0-2 Technicians, Craftsmen or Designers
· 1-2 years of experience with new product and process development
· BS degree in Food Science, Chemical engineering or a related technical field
· 3+ years of R&D experience
· Food Science, Chemical Engineering, or equivalent BS degree required, with a strong preference for a higher degree.
· Experience in Ice Cream or Baking Industry a plus
Research and Development
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org