Job Title: Food Safety Specialist - Alexandria, VA
Department: Department Of Agriculture
Agency: Food and Nutrition Service
Job Announcement Number:12-FNS-224P
is located in the Office of Food Safety, located within Special Nutrition
Programs. The mission of the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) is to
increase food security and reduce hunger in partnership with cooperating
organizations by providing children and low-income people with access to
food, a healthy diet, and nutrition education in a manner that supports
American agriculture and inspires public confidence. FNS provides excellent
opportunities for specialized training through its own facilities and outside
resources. Career guidance and on- and off-the-job training programs are
tailored to an individual employee's needs. If you want to apply your
knowledge and skills to food program activities that seek to strengthen
America, there is a challenging and rewarding career waiting for you with
· Serve as an agency expert on emerging food safety issues, industry practices, and new techniques in processing that might have an impact on the food quality, safety, and acceptability of foods used or distributed through the FNS nutrition assistance programs; and
You must have completed a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree with major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied health sciences, such as biology, chemistry, food science, food technology, nutrition or agricultural sciences, as appropriate to the work of the position.
Notes: The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. The education generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Foreign education must be evaluated by a credentialing agency.
1. Minimum Requirements: Your application must show that you meet all requirements, including the education and/or experience required for this position. You will be found "not qualified" if you do not possess the minimum competencies required for the position. If your application is incomplete, we will rate you as ineligible.
· Knowledge of food safety data and food safety practices sufficient to analyze food safety and/or health related situations, and make decisions or determine resolutions to food safety situations augmented by a knowledge of food manufacturing processes, food production processes, and the foodservice industry.
We may lower your rating if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application. Category Rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three categories, Best Qualified, Well-Qualified or Qualified depending on your experience and education related to this position. Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category.
· Creditable Service for Annual Leave Accrual: Newly-appointed employees or employees reappointed after a break in service may be eligible to receive credit toward annual leave accrual based on prior work experience. FNS may grant service credit for prior non-Federal work experience or active duty uniformed service that is directly related to the position being filled. Creditable service must be determined prior to the effective date of the employee's entry on duty. For more information, contact the Human Resources Specialist listed under "Contact Information."
· To file a complaint of discrimination, within 45 days of notification, write USDA, EEO Counselor, FNS, Office of Civil Rights, 12th floor, Alexandria, VA 22302-1500, or call (703) 305-2195. USDA is an equal opportunity employer.
· FNS has contracted with the Treasury's Bureau of the Public Debt (BPD) to provide certain Human Resource services to its organization. BPD's responsibilities include advertising FNS' vacancies, accepting and handling applications, and extending job offers.
· Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identify and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on the announcement's closing date. FNS provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
Step 1 - Create or Upload a Resume with USAJOBS (www.usajobs.gov) We recommend you go to the end of the Qualifications & Evaluations section of the job announcement to preview the online questions that you will answer. You may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. See Resume Tips.
Step 2 - Apply Online Click "Apply Online." You will be directed to USAJOBS where you must select a resume. If you have documents uploaded to USAJOBS, you may select those you wish to submit as well. After selecting a resume (and documents, if applicable), click "Apply for this position now!" and follow the prompts to register (if you haven't already done so), answer the online questions, and submit all required documents. You will have the opportunity to submit documents via 3 different options: 1) download from USAJOBS, 2) upload from your computer, or 3) fax. You can update your application or documents anytime while the announcement is open. To do so, log into your USAJOBS account and click on "Application Status." Click on the position title, and then select "Apply Online" to continue.
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may lose consideration for this position (or lose the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
Veterans' Preference Documentation
CTAP/ICTAP Proof Of Eligibility
To be used in meeting qualifications requirements, a college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/search.aspx.
If you are
qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability
of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency; more information may be
found at: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/SEC-II/s2-e4.asp#e4a.
OV Agency Information:
USDA, Food and Nutrition Service
***WE DO NOT ACCEPT MAILED APPLICATIONS***
You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS "My Account" tab and clicking on "Application Status". We also recommend you opt to receive status change emails through USAJOBS by logging into "Notification Settings." Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. Also, note that if you provide an email address that is inaccurate, or if your mailbox is full or blocked (e.g., spam blocker), you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.