Food Scientist – St. Louis, MO
Job #: MAY13-26
Job Type: Regular full time
Job Grade: 13
Business Unit: Ralcorp Food Group
Location: St. Louis MO
The Research and Development Food Scientist is responsible for
developing New Food Products from concept to commercialization in support of
company growth objectives with a focus in hot cereals. She / He serves as the
technical expert for projects including product improvements, quality
improvements, customer requests, cost savings initiatives, technology
development, and in the efficient utilization of the manufacturing network.
The primary responsibility will be to apply food science and human nutrition
education and skills through innovation and project leadership, in support of
the various projects assigned. Research and Development work is conducted in
the pilot plant and in the production facilities. The Food Scientist will
have product maintenance responsibilities. He / She will be mentored by more
experienced Food Science professionals who will provide guidance on projects
and technical issues and offer opportunities to develop advanced knowledge
and skills. The Food Scientist will further develop relationships with other
R&D team members, the production facilities, and the cross functional
team members assigned to the projects.
· Apply Food Science and Human Nutrition education and skills to assigned
· Plan, execute, evaluate and report on the technical aspects of the product
development/improvement projects as assigned.
· Act as the technical expert for assigned maintenance products:
· Complete and maintain emulation assessments for current products
· Assist more experienced Food Scientists on portions of projects for
training purposes, and to ensure completion of the department’s high priority
projects and technical work assignments.
· Set up, operate, and clean the pilot plant equipment including mixers,
extruders, cookers, ovens, rolls, coating, and dryers.
· Design, coordinate and execute pilot plant and plant trials.
· Effectively document details of experiments: objectives, formulas,
processing conditions, required equipment and equipment setup, results and
· Develop Specifications, Formulas, and Nutrition labeling.
· Manage projects with some supervision.
· Question processes and procedures. Suggest and test alternatives.
· Interact professionally and effectively with the R&D team to ensure
completion of department objectives.
· Develop a Food Industry network of contacts in support of career
· Able to lift up to 50 lbs., walk / stand for up to 70% of the time while
performing pilot plant and plant trials, able to travel up and down stairs
and ladders to platforms in a production setting, and work in cold/hot plant
· Proficiently utilize Research and Development software such as the Project
Plans Database, Formulation Software and Statistics Software.
· A flexible schedule is required to support testing including travel.
Occasionally plant trials must be conducted during off shifts and weekends.
· B.S. Degree in Food Science (IFT
Minimum Standards) or equivalent.
· Minimum of 2 to 5 years experience in food
· Able to travel 25-50%.
· Strong Written and Verbal communication
· Strong presentation skills
· Creative / Innovative
· Understands and Applies basic statistical concepts.
· Demonstrated project management skills
· Demonstrated problem solving and strategic thinking skills
· Effective Cross functional team and influence skills
· Self motivated with strong attention to detail
· Experience in utilizing basic food science, food nutrition, and food
process knowledge to plan, conduct, and record experiments; and to draw
logical next steps and conclusions.
How to Submit Your Resume
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Ralcorp is an equal opportunity employer.
It is the policy of Ralcorp to provide equal employment opportunity to all
qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age,
sex, physical or mental disability, or status as a disabled veteran or
veteran of the Vietnam era.
EMAIL THIS JOB TO A FRIEND