UK: Wedding guests taken ill with food poisoning

Source of Article:  http://www.bromleytimes.co.uk/content/bromley/times/news/story.aspx?brand=BMLYTOnline&category=news&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsbmlyt&itemid=WeED27%20May%202009%2016%3A07%3A40%3A550


27 May 2009
A BREWERY has been fined £5,100 after guests at a wedding reception were struck down with a serious outbreak of food poising.

Young & Co's Brewery plc, who operate the Bull's Head in Chislehurst, admitted to three food hygiene offences that caused 29 guests at a wedding to be ill.

Bromley Magistrates handed the company a £5,100 fine and costs of £4,531 on May 14 after they heard that council Food Safety Officers investigated the outbreak when guests at the wedding complained of diarrhoea and vomiting.

Nine cases were confirmed as campylobacter food poisoning which is usually caused by undercooked chicken and causes symptoms from three to six days.

Paul Lehane, Bromley council's food safety manager said: "This was a serious outbreak. Although the company had a substantial food safety operating procedure, it still failed to identify risks from this type of high risk food. The officers also found evidence that some foods had been undercooked before this outbreak occurred and that the management had failed to remedy the problem."

The officers found that the wedding reception menu contained homemade chicken liver pate and a soft-centred chocolate pudding made from un-pasteurised eggs.

The paté had been cooked the previous day using a new cooker and was probably undercooked as cooking times and temperatures had not been reassessed for the new cooker.

A faulty fridge was also found to be in use in the kitchen.

 

 

 

Main Page

setstats            Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com

            If you have any comments, please  send your email to info@foodhaccp.com