Food Microbiologist - Glendale CA
Technical Services & Manufacturing
Technical Services & Manufacturing
Responsible for direct support and oversight of the design and continuous
improvement of programs for the management of microbiological safety of
Nestlé USA products. Supports the development and implementation of
division or company-wide microbiological and food safety programs, such as
specifications, HACCP, hygienic design and zoning. Maintains an overview of
regulatory and technical status of issues. Provides technical expertise and
support to Nestlé factories, suppliers, and customers to improve
microbiological product quality and food safety. Evaluates existing food
safety systems for continuous improvement opportunities utilizing tools
such as auditing, process evaluation, research and trend analysis. Provides
coordination and oversight of the safety and compliance program for
1. Support the development and implementation of microbiological,
environmental, and pathogen monitoring programs in Nestlé factories,
co-manufacturers, and suppliers as appropriate.
2. Support HACCP study development and vendor management through microbiological
risk assessment of raw materials and finished products and the development
and interpretation of appropriate microbiological criteria.
3. Lead and assist Factories, Purchasing, Co-Manufacturers, and Ingredient
Suppliers in identifying and correcting sources of microbiological
contamination. Includes audits of facilities as needed.
4. Recommend appropriate microbiological tolerances for finished product
and raw materials based on HACCP review and intended consumer use.
5. Provide support and oversight to factories in their review and trending
of microbiological data to assure compliance with Nestlé standards and to
identify improvement opportunities. Take lead in raising issues and
developing action plans to resolve them.
6. Recommend appropriate, statistically valid microbiological sampling
procedures and methodologies for factory Quality Assurance.
7. Provide support to applications and R&D groups in Innovation and
8. Responsible for coordination of safety and compliance evaluations of
promotional items with external laboratory and promotions buyers.
Responsible for quality and compliance elements of promotions vendor
evaluation and approval. Keep current on developing regulatory and Nestlé
requirements for promotional items.
9. Provide support as needed to troubleshooting of microbiological issues
10. Maintain effective, timely communications regarding microbiological /
food safety concerns.
11. Travel required (= 20-30%)
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND MINIMUM EDUCATION LEVEL:
BS degree in Microbiology, Food Science / Food Technology or related
fields. MS preferred.
' Minimum of 5 years in food manufacturing microbiology, including
operational and laboratory experience. Alternately more than 5 years as
' Must have strong knowledge and understanding of food microbiology, food
safety / HACCP, GMP's, Sanitary design/controls, and basic food technology.
' Must be capable of working in a fast-paced, team environment with minimal
direct supervision and the ability to adhere to aggressive deadlines.
' Position relies heavily on the Nestlé leadership framework principles of
insight, initiative, courage, service orientation, proactive cooperation
and leading people.
' Must have strong demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, and
' Must be self-driven, motivated and result-oriented with ability to
perform well independently and remotely.
' Strong demonstrated verbal / written communications (with technical and
non-technical functions), analytical and problem solving skills. Must be
detailed and results oriented.
' PC proficiency in Windows-based applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint,