Australia: SA
listeria outbreak source unclear
Source
of Article: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25574948-5006301,00.html
Article from: 
JILL PENGELLEY
June 02, 2009 12:47pm
THE
source of listeria in packaged roast beef remains a mystery.
Testing by SA Health suggests other products from the two factories
involved are free of the organism.
The contaminated product, which was detected last week, is the 100g
pre-packaged IGA Deli roast beef slices, with a use-by date of June 24.
Conroy's Smallgoods, at Bowden, provided Kyana Farms, at Wingfield,
with the bulk meat, which Kyana Farms packaged for sale at the
supermarkets.
SA Health public health director Kevin Buckett said the two companies
had co-operated fully during the investigation.
``We have found no evidence that the product is linked to any
illnesses,'' he said.
``However, anyone who has this product is advised not to consume it and
to throw it out or to return it to the place of purchase for a full
refund.''
Production at Kyana Farms will remain on hold until the company has
completed a plan, which includes a review of the incident to identify the
likely source of contamination.
An assessment of Conroy's has found it complies with the nationally
agreed listeria control program.
Listeria infection can be dangerous for the sick, elderly, newborns and
pregnant women.
|