Senior Food Scientist - Thermal Processing – Santa Rosa, CA
This position is responsible for supporting thermal process development for shelf stable foods and spans all existing and future packaging formats as formulated to low acid, acidified, and acid foods. Thermal process development can entail commercialization or existing product and packages, or support commercial and pilot plant Commissioning Validation and Start-Up activities of new equipment installations. A high level of collaboration is expected internally with R&D, Quality, Operations, Tech Services and externally with the Process Authority. The person filling this opportunity will provide thermal processing technical service to all Amy’s facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Ensure that Amy's Canning procedures are consistent with 21CFR, Part 113 and Part 114(acidified foods) as well as Canadian and international low acid canned food requirements.
· Lead establishment of scheduled thermal/ acidification processes and specifications, working with process authorities, internal experts, technical teams, and regulatory agencies to ensure that all scheduled thermal/acidification processes are properly established, maintained, and documented
· Provide technical support on thermal processing projects and activities.
· Develop and execute regular canning CCP training for affected coworkers.
· Support and conduct thermal/acidification process audits, provide recommendations to close gaps, and support operations to close gaps.
· Work with the factory to ensure the all scheduled processes and related systems are properly validated, documented, and followed.
· Maintain and review Formula Comparison spreadsheet for all canned and acidified products
· Maintain Deviation Log for FDA review.
· Forward deviations to Process Authority (when necessary)
· Clear deviations, in-house, when applicable
· Review daily paperwork for accuracy and to disposition LACF/acidified products
· Cover for QA Canning Supervisors as needed
· Conduct HP trials for new products and reformulations
· Work on special projects relating to thermal/acidification processing as needed (temperature distribution, new process development, work with can supplier, new ingredients etc.)
· Collaboration with R&D and sensory on existing and new shelf stable products to deliver product sensory performance and food safe regulatory compliance.
· Develop and maintenance of data collections systems for all supporting thermal process data (cal-soft), and ensure calibration adherence.
· Develop and maintenance of all key thermal process data; heat penetration, temperature/heat distribution tests, rate of acidification etc.
· Assist in the development of pilot plant capability to deliver optimized process times to factory.
· Assist in dispositioning deviated product against schedule processes.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor's degree in Food Science or Food Technology or a degree in a related Life Science from a four-year college or university and five years technical experience and/or training with food and food-related products; or an equivalent combination of education and experience, thermal processing experience preferred.
· Demonstrated experience with government regulatory requirements preferably in the processing of high and low acid foods.
· Proven leadership in food process technology or related areas of work.
· Knowledge and experience with process engineering, processing equipment, and unit operations recognized as an expert in this field.
· Recommended Member of Institute for Thermal Processing Specialists (IFTPS).
· Thorough understanding of food science and how food is affected though processing.
· Excellent project management and coordination skills.
· Exceptional communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written.
· Ability to travel up to 10% of the time.
· Bilingual English/Spanish preferred but not required.
· Valid Drivers License
Send resume and cover letter with "Senior Food Scientist-Thermal Processing" in subject heading to firstname.lastname@example.org
size=2 width="100%" align=center>
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com