12, 2009, 6:01 GMT
- Spoiled tuna is suspected to have caused an outbreak of food
put hundreds of workers in Ho Chi Minh City in hospital, officials of the
affected companies said Friday.
'Doctors at Ho Chi Minh City
Health Department have collected food samples for testing
and initial results show tuna may be the cause,' said Nguyen Thi Bich Phuong,
personnel chief at the Minh Nghe Shoe Company.
The first cases were reported at the
company's plant Thursday afternoon after 170 workers complained of headaches,
nausea, vomiting and rashes. They were sent to hospital for treatment.
At the same time, 175 workers at Thuong
Thang Shoes Company complained of similar symptoms and were also sent to
Thuong Thang personnel head Huynh Van
Nhien said only 175 out of a total of 1,400 workers at his company suffered
Ho Chi Minh City's Health Department is
investigating the outbreak.
In the first quarter of 2009, Vietnam
reported 186 cases of food poisoning, including two fatalities, according to
the Food Safety and Hygiene Department.
It is a dramatic improvement from last
year, which saw nearly 8,000 cases of food poisoning with 61 deaths.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to