Job Title: Consumer Safety Officer, GS-0696-09/11 - El Paso County, TX
Department: Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency: Food and Drug Administration
Job Announcement Number: HHS-FDA-ORA-DE-11-488146
Additional Duty Location Info:
Few vacancies - Oklahoma City, OK; Few vacancies - Tulsa, OK; Few vacancies - Dallas, TX; Few vacancies - El Paso County, TX; Few vacancies - Ft. Worth, TX; Few vacancies - Houston, TX; Few vacancies - San Antonio, TX; Few vacancies - Austin, TX
The incumbent will conduct inspections and investigations of facilities where only limited guidance documents are available; proposed or new regulations must be used to evaluate the industry; or the inspection or investigation may result in considerable attention and review in the media, Congress, or other forces inside or outside the Agency. Inspections cover all the types of products and problems within the area of assigned responsibility. Investigates and evaluates the adequacy of complex manufacturing practices to determine compliance with GMP regulations.
Investigations involves complaints of injury or death attributable to products regulated by the FDA. Investigations of injuries require special coordination and a high degree of insight and knowledge. Plans and decides how the investigation should proceed, when the investigation is complete, and what reporting is required. Analyzes results, decides when an investigation is complete or what additional work may be required.
Qualifications and Evaluations
1. Degree: that included at least 30 semester hours in one or a combination of the following: biological sciences, chemistry, pharmacy, physical sciences, food technology, nutrition, medical science, engineering, epidemiology, veterinary medical science, or related scientific fields that provided knowledge directly related to consumer safety officer work. The 30 semester hours can include up to 8 semester hours in statistics, or course work that included the principles, theory, or practical application of computers or computer programming.
2. Combination of education and experience -- courses consisting of at least 30 semester hours in the fields of study described in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Additional requirements for the GS-09:
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service, gathering and performing standard analyses of scientific data and preparing reports on scientific/technical study findings.
Additional requirement for the GS-11:
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service, gathering and performing standard analyses of scientific data; reviewing and evaluating scientific data for efficacy and safety; and preparing reports on scientific/technical study findings.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required. Certain positions within FDA are subject to restrictions on financial holdings specifically FDA regulated financial holdings. This position could be subject to these restrictions. During the application and interview process, and prior to accepting this position, we advise applicants to seek additional information from the FDA Ethics Office at (301) 827-5511.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Moving expenses authorized: May be
8. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Relocation/Recruitment Incentuive authorized: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
Rating Process does not add veterans’ preference points but protects the
rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements
and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10
percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of
scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
1. Knowledge of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and related laws and regulations.
2. Knowledge of investigative methods and negotiating techniques.
3. Ability to communicate in writing.
4. Ability to communicate orally.
Benefits and Other Info
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at http://www.usajobs.gov/ei/benefits.asp#icc.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans’ preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/veterans.asp.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
HOW TO APPLY:
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
Note: To return to a previously Saved or Incomplete application you may use the following link: https://applicationmanager.gov/.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the following Vacancy ID 488146. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot apply online:
The following documents are required and must be received by the closing date of this announcement:
1. Your Resume'
For Resume' and Application Tips visit: http://www.usajobs.gov/EI/resumeandapplicationtips.asp#icc
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Résumé
2. A complete Assessment Questionnaire
3. Other supporting documents:
- Veterans Preference Documentation
(DD214/VA Letter), if applicable
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Tuesday, July 05, 2011.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Control Number: 2298546
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org