Bridge - Rotten tuna was the cause of food poisoning that struck down
hundreds of workers between June 11 and 13, Ho Chi Minh City’s Health
Department said on June 20.
The department collected food samples from the companies to test
immediately after workers got food poisoning.
to the department, during the recent hot weather quality of tuna worsened
and histamine in the tuna was created, causing severe physical reactions in
amount of histamine could be poisonous, the department said.
the department warned people that tuna caused food poisoning, city shoppers
continued to buy cheap local tuna.
20, after eating lunch more than 80 workers at Ha Yen Co Ltd in My Tho
City, Tien Giang Province, were hospitalized with skin rashes, stomach
pains and dizziness. The workers said they had eaten tuna with bamboo.
earlier, more than 350 footwear workers in Ho Chi Minh City’s Thu Duc and
Binh Chanh Districts were hospitalized with food poisoning after eating
lunch provided by their companies.
170 workers at Minh Nghe Trading and Industrial in Thu Duc District also
presented similar symptoms, with skin rashes, headache, and dizziness after
eating stewed tuna and water morning glory soup and were rushed to Thu Duc
workers from Vi An Co. in Tan Phu District and My Hao Co. in Binh Tan
District were hospitalized on June 12 for the same reason.
news, many people were poisoned in the northern province of Son La after
eating beef on June 14.
A beef cow
in Me Van Hop died after an unknown cause on June 14 and was sold to
villagers as meat.
eating the beef, many people suffered from stomach pains, vomiting, high
fever and diarrhea.
A total of
147 people were poisoned, with 138 being treated at home. The remaining
nine are still receiving treatment.