Principal Scientist, Food
Safety and Regulatory Affairs Job - Valhalla, NY
Date: Jul 9, 2010
Valhalla, NY, US
- Responsible for developing thermal and non-thermal processing parameters
for the safety and quality of PepsiCo beverages.
- Implement PepsiCo-wide policy on low acid aseptic products (minimum
requirements for equipment design, package sterilization, etc.
- Development of thermal processes for Low Acid . High Acid, and Acidified
Foods and Beverages.
- Support ongoing quality auditing function for these products.
- In cooperation with the process authority and other technical resources
carries out validation trials on new aseptic equipment, new installations and
new product launches. Re-validate systems as needed.
- Provides support in developing thermal processes for retorted products as
necessary. Assist the process authority in evaluating process irregularities
and provide guidelines for product disposition.
- Maintain regulatory compliance policies for the LACF category worldwide.
Supervise the safety of LACF, Acidified, and High Acid products developed by
- Take a broad leadership role in the implementation and maintenance of
thermal process and aseptic technologies within region(i.e. Audits, System
Validation and Approval, Experimental Test Protocol, Pilot Plant Test
Protocol, etc.). This will require the individual to execute work beyond the
scope of their individual technical function in order to assess the
feasibility and soundness of proposed approaches, techniques, and/or
- Takes a broad leadership role on projects. Gaining alignment with
Operations and R&D is critical in maintaining these systems. Manage the
specifications for maintaining and approving thermal process and aseptic
systems across PepsiCo.
- Facilitate the transition to a common thermal process and aseptic standard
across all PepsiCo facilities. Communicating and implementing to Operations
and the co-manufacturers will be QA's responsibility.
- Participate in the development of the direction of standardized thermal and
aseptic systems for PepsiCo and collaboration to harmonize all such systems.
- Bachelor's degree in Food Science, or other related technical field with a
minimum of 5 years of direct experience in Thermal Processing and Aseptics.
Master's or PhD in Engineering, Food Science, or Microbiology preferred.
- Individual will need to understand business strategies, culture and work
necessary to achieve results.
- Persevere in times of crisis and handle adverse circumstances effectively.
Assist people through change and transformation effectively.
- Capable of influencing people regarding quality systems.
- A team oriented person with skills that effectively bring people and issues
to decisive resolution. Achieve results consistently despite obstacles.
- Monitor progress against goals, identify issues and takes corrective action
- Manages related functional activities to ensure the alignment of team
priorities with broader organizational initiatives, and works to set culture
and tone for their area. Must be innovative, detail oriented, self directed
and have good problem solving skills. Acts as a peer coach to junior
scientists and other non-technical associates.
- Must have an understanding of the following; thermal bacteriology, LACF
regulations including aseptics, process calculations and lethality
determination, data collection and complex lethality calculations.
Job ID: 25449
Nearest Major Market:
Market: New York City
Compliance, Engineer, Engineering, Food Science, Food Service, Hospitality,
Law, Legal, Maintenance Engineer, QA, Quality, Quality Assurance, R&D,
R&D Engineer, Regulatory Affairs, Research, Research Scientist, Safety,
Science, Scientific, Scientist, Service, Technology