India: Six of family die of food poisoning
TNN 13 July
2009, 04:18am IST
A woman and her five children died of food poisoning
in Charda village under Nangal police station of Dausa district on Sunday.
woman and their two daughters are fighting for life at SMS hospital in
According to sources, the entire family of Shankar Lal, a small-time farmer
in Charda village, took some rice and poha on Sunday morning. Soon after
consuming the meal, all of them complained of severe stomach pain and started
vomiting. They were soon rushed to a local hospital. Doctors in Dausa,
finding their condition critical, referred them to SMS hospital in Jaipur.
However, four of them died on way to hospital.
SP, Dausa, Mehtab Singh Chaudhary told TOI that police came to know about the
incident after the victims were shifted to Jaipur. A police team reached
Shankar's house, but the house was locked from outside, he said. The bodies
were sent for post-mortem and the viscera have been preserved for further
A doctor at SMS
hospital, B L Bhatia, said that earlier only four persons were admitted to
the hospital in a serious condition but later the father of the children,
Shankar Lal, was also admitted. The deceased include Anokhi (40), Kaushalya
(16), Bharti (17), Pooran (18), Raj Kumar (9) and Raj Bai. Shankar Lal,
Shanti (12) and Sunita (6) are undergoing treatment and their condition was
critical, he said.
A close relative of the family said that the meal might have turned poisonous
due to some contamination. The villagers are shocked at the deaths and
demanded compensation for the family.