New Products Sensory Science Technician
Mountain Coffee Roasters - Waterbury, VT 05671
motivated to achieve success because the more profitable we are, the more
good we can do in the world.
We create the ultimate coffee experience in every life we touch from tree
We aspire to behave in a way that everyone we interact with is better off
for having known us.
SUMMARY: The New
Products Sensory Science Technician will assist Research and Development
staff (Product, Package and Process) to optimize products for maximum consumer
acceptance based on the results of difference and affective testing and
descriptive analysis. The New Products Sensory Science Technician is
responsible for assisting with sensory studies and experiments designed
to describe and quantify the sensory properties of foods and ingredients
in support of the New Product Development process. The technician will
use sensory evaluation tools and practices to actively assist in guiding
prototype development activities, managing the sensory component of shelf
life testing, monitoring quality of in-market products via a store audit
program, and conducting competitive product assessments. This role
supports all activities related to product development, from bench top
formulation to product commercialization. The role interacts routinely
with Product Development, Processing, Packaging, Consumer Insights and
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Serve as a shared resource for all Research and Development technicians
to conduct sensory panels on new products. This would include ingredient
evaluation and substitution panels, off-flavor assessment for suspected
product/package interactions, difference from control testing on products
manufactured at different sites or using new manufacturing process
* Screen/recruit in-house employees to participate in scheduled taste
* Participate in and support sensory training activities (e.g. flavor and
aroma lexicon development)
* Prepare and execute basic sensory tests.
* Assist in creating and establishing a local consumer testing program
for new products using new and existing Keurig
* Assist in the development and maintenance of computerized sensory
support systems for data collection, analysis and reporting.
* Order supplies and maintain the Sensory Lab; manage incentives and
programs for panelists.
* Assist in monitoring/executing off-site RGT tests.
* Communicate and interact frequently with the Coffee Department, Marketing
and all R&D team members
OTHER NECESSARY FUNCTIONS:
* Ability to work independently on assigned tasks and projects, as well
as within the structure of a cross-functional team.
* Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely.
* Ability to be adaptable and effective at prioritizing work tasks in a
rapidly changing environment.
* Ability to apply problem solving tools and techniques in daily
* Follows all policies, procedures, ergonomic standards and safety
requirements directed by GMCR and the department.
* Performs other duties as requested by management.
* Bachelor's or Associates degree in a scientific discipline preferred;
laboratory or culinary experience a definite plus.
* Familiarity with sensory evaluation principles, concepts and techniques
(qualitative and quantitative).
* Familiarity with sensory data collection and statistical analysis
software systems (e.g., Compusense, RGSYS,
* Basic understanding of the Product Development process is desirable.
* Willingness / ability to travel to other GMC manufacturing sites,
specifically Essex and Knoxville, as needed.
* Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, especially Microsoft Excel.
* Strong math, science, written and verbal skills.
* Strong organizational ability with great attention to detail needed.
* Ability to uphold Safety standards, participates in Continuous Process
Improvement on the job, and follows our Manufacturing best practices.
* Ability to interact well with others, be a self-starter, and follows
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
* Predominately sedentary light office position with high frequency of
keyboarding/computer work required (67% - 100% of the workday).
* Ability to lift items, frequently kneel, squat, bend, and stoop, twist,
and reach overhead with repetitive motions.
We offer a comprehensive and
competitive total compensation package, and a collaborative work
environment. Green Mountain Coffee is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All offers
of employment with GMCR are contingent upon the successful completion of
a pre-employment physical as provided by a GMCR selected physician. This
examination must be completed prior to the first day of employment. We
reserve the right to determine the suitability of an applicant for a
position based on an evaluation of all available information, including
but not limited to past work performance, applications, resumes, and
GMCR is an E-Verify employer.