KULIM, July 14 (Bernama) -- Nineteen pupils of Sekolah
Kebangsaan (SK) Sungai Kechil Hilir, here were rushed to the Serdang Health
Centre after complaining of stomach ache and diarrhoea this morning.
The incident, believed due to food poisoning, occurred at 10.30am after the
pupils, aged between 11 and 12, consumed some food and drinks from the school
canteen during recess.
They were driven to the Serdang Health Centre by their teacher, where they
were given outpatient treatment.
Kulim/Bandar Baharu District Deputy Education Officer Harris Abd Rahim said
the pupils were believed to have suffered diarrhoea after consuming
grape-flavoured drinks prepared by the school canteen operator.
"The canteen has been sealed for the time being to facilitate health
inspection on the premises," he said.