Research Assistant - West Lafayette - Food Science
(Job Number: 1301050)
Responsible for planning,
conducting and reporting research on microbiological spoilage and safety of
poultry and other food products. Perform research experiments, determine
course of action, data analysis and prepare reports. Advise graduate and
undergraduate students. Manage day-to-day operations of the Food Safety lab.
· Bachelor's degree in Microbiology, Biology, Food Science, Animal Science, Poultry Science or closely related field.
· Minimum of one year experience in microbiological techniques.
· Supervisory experience.
· Ability to work with foodborne pathogens, perform microbiological analytical procedures, and analyze scientific results.
· Knowledge of basic micro principals, procedures and techniques.
· Willingness to be trained and carry out experiments in Biological Safety Level 2 (BSL2) using safe work practices and procedures.
· Capable of using independent judgment for purchases and the ability to oversee laboratory spending and coordinate purchases for research group.
· Ability to oversee research laboratory without immediate supervision.
· Good written and oral communication skills with ability to communicate with faculty, staff, and students.
· Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision.
· Willing to learn/travel to keep abreast of new developments in the field.
· Able to teach others current techniques and use the equipment related to research projects.
· Able to balance the research and supervisory components of this position.
· Ability to lift and carry 10 pounds frequently and 20 pounds occasionally. Knowledge and skills in Microsoft Office software as well as SAS software and good computer skills.
· A background check is required for employment in this position.
· FLSA: Exempt (not eligible for overtime)
· Retirement: Defined Contribution Waiting Period
· Purdue University is an equal opportunity, equal access, affirmative action employer.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org