India: Food poisoning visits city school

Source of Article:  http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/4804980.cms

 

TNN 22 July 2009, 03:05am IST

|

CHANDIGARH: UT education department has failed to implement its ban on sale of junk food in schools. This was evidenced in Friday’s incident at

Government Model Senior Secondary School, Sector 35, where 20 students fell ill after consuming burgers sold at the canteen there. Some of the students continue to be hospitalized and others that have been discharged are still receiving treatment. This is the second such incident in the past two months, with the last such occurrence being at GMSSS-23.

Most of the students, who fell ill, were from class IX. They reported of vomiting, fever and stomach ache after reaching home.

One of the affected, Tushar Bansal, was admitted in Government Medical College and Hospital, Sector 32, on Saturday. His father Prishant Bansal said Tushar’s condition had deteriorated on Friday night. Kulbir Singh of Phase XI, Mohali, stated, ‘The school’s laxity is to blame for this. My son Harpreet is bedridden and still undergoing treatment.’ However, school principal Indu Balla denied that any such incident had taken place, though she stated that she had gone to meet one of the students admitted in GMCH-32 for food poisoning on Monday.

DPI (schools) Samwartak Singh said that though parents had contacted him, he had asked them to submit a written complaint.

 

 

 

 

Main Page

setstats            Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com

            If you have any comments, please  send your email to info@foodhaccp.com