2009, 11:25pm IST
(SURENDRANAGAR): More than 200 children
in Kathechi village of Limbdi taluka fell prey to food poisoning on Tuesday.
According to taluka health officials, children suffered from food poisoning
after consuming snacks served by Kathechi Primary School authorities, who
claimed that the eatables were procured from a village shop.
Four teams of taluka health officials were dispatched to Kathechi village as
the reports of this epidemic started to trickle in. "As the government hospital
in Limbdi was ill-equipped to meet the rush of such a large number of
patients, ailing students were provided with one bed per two patients,"
said a source.
Investigating officer of Limbdi police station said that the police were
tracing the shop from which the food was bought. "First, we will find
out the shop which sold the adulterated food item and then we will send it to
food and drug department for examination," said sub-inspector C L Padvi.
Meanwhile, health officials claimed that all children undergoing treatment
were out of danger.