Director, Food Product
Development, R&D (4961) - Parsippany, NJ
Req Id 4961 -
Req ID: 4961
Location: Parsippany, NJ
Millions of times a day
in more than 85% of American households, consumers reach for Pinnacle Foods
brands. We are a leading producer, marketer and distributor of high-quality
branded food products, which have been trusted household names for decades.
Headquartered in Parsippany, NJ, our business employs an average of
approximately 4,300 employees. We are a leader in the shelf stable and
frozen foods segments and our brands hold the #1 or #2 market position in 8
out of 12 major category segments in which they compete. Our Duncan Hines
Grocery Division manages Leadership brands such as Duncan Hines® baking
mixes and frostings, Vlasic® shelf-stable pickles and Mrs. Butterworth's®
and Log Cabin® table syrups and Foundation brands such as Armour® canned meats, Brooks® and Nalley®
chili and chili ingredients, Comstock® and Wilderness® pie and pastry
fillings and Open Pit® barbecue sauces. Our Birds Eye Frozen Division
manages Leadership brands such as Birds Eye®, Birds Eye Steamfresh®,
C&W®, McKenzie's®, and Fresh like® vegetables, Birds Eye Voila!®
complete bagged meals and Van de Kamp's® and Mrs. Paul's® seafood and
Foundation brands such as Lender's® bagels, Celeste® pizza, Hungry-Man®
dinners and entrées and Aunt Jemima® frozen breakfasts. Our Specialty Foods
Division manages Tim's Cascade Snacks®, Hawaiian® Kettle Style Potato
Chips, Erin’s® Popcorn, Snyder of Berlin® and Husman's®
in addition to our food service and private label businesses. Pinnacle
Foods is a Top 1000 Company ranked on Fortune Magazine’s 2011 Top 1000
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Director, Product Development will be responsible for delivery of
innovation, as well as the technical aspects of product development, for
both new products and innovations to existing products. The Director
reports to the Vice President of Research and Development and funnels
strategic direction for new products and the business to the brand teams.
The Director will make
technical and business recommendations to senior management to use as a
basis for tactical and strategic business decisions. This position involves
close interaction with the Vice President of Research and Development, as
well as management of both technical programs and personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Responsibility for management of overall product development programs for
the business segment, including creation of new products as well as
innovations to existing products.
• Responsibility for planning and implementation of product development
programs to support identified business plan requirements.
• Identification of innovative product solutions to meet consumer and
market needs, as a strategic driver for business growth
• Identify and document resource needs both internal and external to
support agreed upon development programs. Effectively use all available
• Function as a lead resource to the organization for product innovation
and technical expertise.
• Ensure design and implementation of technically sound programs to meet
business and strategic plan requirements.
• Hands on development activities as required to meet
project objectives. This will involve at times performing the tasks
typically conducted by food technologists and project leaders.
• Preparation and management of budgets, salary plans and resource plans.
• Participate as an equal partner with directors of other functional
departments in identifying and evaluating business opportunities.
• Communicate effectively across diverse levels within and outside the
• Lead multi functional teams.
• Provide fact-based input for administrative activities such as
preparation and management of budgets, salary plans and resource plans.
Yes, requires management of direct reports and mid-size groups.
To perform this job successfully, this executive must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
• Translating consumer needs and business objectives into actual products
and processes that satisfy consumer needs and meet established business
• Effectively combine sound technical knowledge and competence with
managerial skills to successfully meet agreed upon business objectives with
efficient use of available resources.
• Participate in business decisions and impact company profitability
through multi functional input on critical
development and business programs.
• Proven product development expertise with strong leadership and talent
development skills, as well as a reputation for technical and business
A Bachelor's degree is required, preferably in food science, chemistry or
similar discipline. An advanced degree is highly desirable.
• Minimum of 10 years of food product development experience from bench top
to production start up is required.
• Project/Program management: Minimum of two to three years of managing
multiple projects across multiple technical programs.
• People Management: Minimum two to three years of managing multiple personnel
across multiple programs.
• Business Management: Formal business education is a plus, minimum of 1
year of planning and managing budgets, salary plans and direct interaction
with members of the non technical segment of the
• Deep understanding of food CPG industry
• Extensive business acumen
• Computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Pinnacle Foods Group LLC, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All openings will
be filled based on the qualifications without regard to race, creed, color,
sex, age, national origin, sponsor, marital status, disability, or status
as a disabled veteran or as a veteran of the Vietnam Era. All applicants
are invited to complete the Affirmative Action Supplement.