Quality & Food Safety Director-RAN00160 - California
Purpose of Role:
The purpose of this role is to be the champion of quality for Mars Food North America.
The job holder has overall responsibility for leading the development and implemention of the quality strategy for Mars Food NA. We take a wide definition of quality, encompassing not just product performance, but the capability of our organisation to capture customer / consumer insights and translate them into superior products and services in a timely fashion (i.e. quality, cost & time). The Quality Director has ultimate accountability for ensuring that the appropriate Quality Management Systems are developed and applied in order to meet customer/consumer needs at optimum cost.
The Quality Director will be a critical co-pilot for the Regional President / R&D VP. S/he will ensure that best practices are established and implemented. S/he will ensure that a strong functional discipline is maintained and enhanced, and will provide functional expertise in support.
Provides leadership to Q&FS function and the R&D leadership team
· Leads the development of key quality strategies (for segment/brand area) in support of the business strategic objectives
· Provides leadership and input into the R&D leadership team that helps shape the strategic agenda and resource allocation for R&D
· Management of Food SBU site / regional QA (Mars Factories and Warehousing)/External Manufacturing Quality function and processes, technical services and process improvement functions.
· Develops actions plans and recommendations for the Management Team on major quality and safety concerns.
· Provide direction and framework for quality initiatives
· Is accountable for governance and oversight of Mars QMP (Accountable for BU management review and audit)
· Leads and deploys large Q&FS technology (e.g. Nexus), infrastructure (e.g. DRT global standards compliance) and quality program projects (e.g. implementation of a large new global standard).
· Provides leadership and planning to implement and ensure full compliance with new and existing global quality standards within the Food business.
· Lead cross functional teams to champion the resolution of key quality issues
· Drive Standards of Excellence for the QS team
· Prioritizes and deploys resources (people and money) to optimize capabilities
· Oversees Consumer Care function
· Key external interface with regulatory officials on issues and opportunities
· Creates and leverages service level agreements with Canadian market and GCC business units to deliver quality agenda.
· Collaborate with global counterparts to establish and agree the global standards
· Collaborates with regional counterparts in Chocolate, Pet, Drinks and Wrigley on regional projects (e.g. FSMA, talent development)
· Collaborates with regional counterparts in Chocolate to ensure delivery of global standards for warehouse compliance (flavor transfer management, and QMP compliance).
· Champion technical quality strategies on a global basis (includes participation in global standard development)
· Champion a collaborative environment with external and internal partners
· Provides governance to Commercial SQA function (project Great Wall)
· Works with Customer Service and Consumer Affairs to identify trends and establish action programs to address quality issues and opportunities
Engagement and Development
· Champion associate engagement across QS team, R&D as well as across the business unit
· Develop and direct departmental staffing and training strategies to ensure technical competence, creativity, teamwork and broad business knowledge leading to continued managerial and technical leadership for R&D.
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
· Model Product Quality Excellence to the total organization
· Strong business, organization and communication skills
· Influence key leaders within the organization to ensure conformance to Quality systems
· Broad networking capability across the business unit, the region and with global functional peers within Mars, Incorporated
· Efficient service-oriented approach to deploying resources to address the quality system needs for the SBU’s
· Food Safety & Regulations
· Ability to lead cross functional teams
· Conflict & Crisis Management
· Problem solving skills
· Management through process
· 10+ years experience in R&D/Supply/Commercial
· A Quality systems professional with background in Quality Management
· Preferred MS in technical area such as Food Science, Microbiology, or Biology.
· At minimum BS in science or technology discipline
Decision Making Authority and Impact
· Quality systems deployment
· Talent Management – associate training and development
· Spend of QS Budget
· Product retrievals (< $100K)
· Orchestrate discussions and provide recommendations on major quality calls for the business unit (e.g. product retrieval/recalls). A significant recall cost can be tens of millions. A major failure of a quality system can lead to the destruction of a brand)
· Budget and resource needs. >$1.0MM
· Leadership planning and associate development for the R&D division
· Product retrievals
As a privately-held, family-owned company, Mars
North America offers benefits which reflect our commitment to attracting and
retaining great people. This includes excellent pay, competitive health and
dental care coverage, a retirement plan, a very competitive vacation plan and
unrivalled career advancement opportunities, to name just a few of our unique
and generous benefits.
Research and Development
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org