Director of Food Science, Research & Development Indianapolis, IN
JOB TITLE: Director, Food Science
DEPARTMENT: Research & Development
LOCATION: Clay Terrace
REPORTS TO: CEO
SUPERVISES OTHERS: Yes
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
REVIEW DATE: August 8, 2012
The Food Science Director leads the Research & Development team to achieve the goals and objectives as set out by Company senior leadership. The Director will be responsible for all aspects of the product development cycle, turning ideas into prototypes and eventually, marketable products. This role will contribute to an expansion of our product development capabilities to create fast, flexible, innovative solutions in the beverage and sweeteners categories as well as new product lines for future growth.
As part of the senior leadership team, provide input into the strategic direction of new product developmen
t for the Company.
Manage the process of product development, overseeing all aspects.
§ Selection of ingredients and formulations
§ Assessment of technical and manufacturing feasibility
§ Food safety review
§ Prototype development
§ Consumer testing
§ Product scale-up
Collaborate with Operations and Quality to recommend quality control and manufacturing processes for new products.
Work with Operations and Quality to manage the process of sourcing existing and potential ingredients, qualify new ingredients or ingredient adjustments.
Oversee the development of accurate ingredient panel and nutritional information for all products.
Oversee a process of constant monitoring of existing items in the marketplace to ensure all products meet or exceed consumer expectations.
Work with marketing to ensure cost parameters on new products are met within agreed guidelines.
· Must be able to physically perform the functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions
· Must be able to work in a Laboratory/kitchen setting using lab instruments such as scales, temperature probes and other basic and advanced lab equipment
· Must be able to sit for extended periods of time and interact with computers, telephone and other electronic media
· Must possess visual acuity to document company records
· Must be able to lift 20 pounds
· Must be able to work extended hours, such as daily overtime and an occasional weekends
· A Masters Degree in Food Science or related technical field is required. PhD is preferred.
· A minimum of 10-12 years experience in food product development, preferably in beverage and sweeteners, with a record of increasing responsibility and success.
· Strong analytical skills and communication skills are essential.
· Collaborative problem solving skills are essential.
· Demonstrate a very high sense of urgency. Speed to market is critical.
This job description is intended to be a summary of the duties, skills and duties required for the role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list. Duties will change as the needs of the business change.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com